Ten

I must have drifted off, because I woke up to her hovering over me once again.

"The procedure is complete. You will heal over the next thirty minutes. The tonic I gave you contained a few drops of spelled blood. I spelled it to heal you." She helped me sit up on the edge of the table.

I stretched, comfortable in her presence, oddly enough. I looked down at my arms, my legs, and peeked at my breasts. My scars had completely vanished. Healed skin had replaced it.

I was in shock. I thought I could never feel beautiful, never feel safe or comfortable with myself because I was forced to endure proof of my trauma every day. I cried. My lip quivered as I felt the smoothness of where the bite scars had been. I don't know who this woman was, or why she did this, but I didn't care.

"Thank you." She glanced at me and her eyes softened for a small moment.

"Yes, Yes." She walked closer to me and grabbed my hands. She looked towards the door and back at me. A sense of urgency in her eyes. "Keep your wits about you, young one. You will face more challenges, but keep them about you."

She was the first person to show me true kindness in a very long time. She wiped my tears with her apron and reached in her pocket, pulling out a small flower.

My heart raced a bit at the sight, reminded of Simon's message, but hers seemed genuine. Kind. I decided to accept it.

It was a darker pink with a black center and it fit just in the palm of my hand. I looked at her confused, eyebrows furrowed, I asked, "I—Thank you. It's beautiful, but why?"

She lifted another one out of her apron pocket and sniffed it. At that moment, I knew exactly who she was. She was the woman from the market. I bought a soap bar from her for two coins. She told me not to stay out at night because the beasts may get me.

I was honestly feeling very confused and I knew my eyes had widened very much. Was she a recruiter? Was it her idea that I be brought here, sold like cattle? I needed my questions answered.

"It is an Echinacea. It represents strength. It is used in many tonics to help heal. I've spelled it so it never will die. Keep it with you, look at it and remind yourself of what you've been through. See that you will weather the storm." She knew I finally recognized her, I could see it in her eyes.

She squeezed my hands once more. Her head snapped toward the door and she took a large step back as the door swung open to reveal Gerald.

"On to the next we are almost through with preparations. We've got thirty minutes. Be swift." And with that, I followed him out. I kept my flower tucked in the palm of my hand. I squeezed it and remembered what she said. She helped me realize that I could change how I viewed flowers, instead of a horrid reminder, they could be a kind one, a reminder of the horrors I've endured, not just what I've suffered. I walked out without looking back.