Thirty-Seven

He had transformed it from a grungy bar into an incredibly intimate space. The booth in the back was set up with large delicate wine glasses. The place settings were breathtaking, the gold layered plates atop the dark purple table cloth created a sensual mood. A gorgeous flower chandelier hung above the table, the red in the glass flowers gave the room a warm glow.

We approached the table and he helped me into my seat. At that moment, a violinist in the opposite corner started to play a sultry sound. I couldn't help but smile at the thought he had put into this.

"This is beautiful, August. Thank you." He sat down across from me, adjusting his tie and smiled.

"You deserve the world, Davina. And I will give it to you, if you allow me to."

"I don't think anyone deserves the world, that's a bit selfish don't you think? What about everyone else?" I joked. Although I didn't lie. I didn't see the point in having so many luxuries when there were many creatures who were starving to death. A small frown made its way into my face at the thought.

Before August could respond, a waiter approached with two bottles of wine. He bowed deeply at both of us, catching me off guard.

"Good evening. I will be your waiter tonight, my name is Alfred. I have two wine choices for you today, we have a finely aged sweet white riesling, and a bitter red, a blood wine that is." He presented us with two bottles, both were gorgeous and looked incredibly expensive. I knew little about wine, beer and liquor, I'm your girl, but nothing of wine. I had no idea what to pick, and I didn't know what was on the menu. I looked to August, slightly panicked.

He just chuckled, "Let's go with the red, I don't think my date has ever tried a blood wine."

He looked at me to make sure, "I-no I have not." He smiled in response and let the waiter fill our glasses.

"Leave the bottle, please Alfred." The man bowed and set the bottle down on the table, leaving us.

"Try it, let me know what you think." A small, wholesome smile spread across his handsome face as he raised his glass to his lips.

I did the same. I was curious to know what blood wine tasted like, and how it was made. The second it touched my lips, I was shocked. I took another sip, examining the flavor. Augustus watched, seemingly pleased.

The flavor had a prevalent hint of blood followed by blackberry and some citrus. It was delicious.

"This is magnificent. I had no idea this even existed. Where do you find it?" I was incredibly curious. I had encountered some wine working at the tavern, but never a blood wine.

"Well," He rubbed the back of his muscular neck and held a sheepish expression on his face, "I made it."

Shock covered my features. "You made this wine? You mean you have a personal winemaker?" That was pretty interesting, he could help curate any wine he wanted.

"Well, no, I made it...it's a...hobby, I guess." He seemed so nervous to tell me, as I would judge him on honing and incredibly unique craft.

"August, that's amazing. It's so intriguing. How did you get into this?"

"Well, my father was a large member of a wine enthusiast group for centuries and I ended up joining him a few times. I was hooked from there on and now craft my own wines often. Being immortal can get...boring" he chuckled softly, "It's nice to have something to pass the time."

"I would love to see where you work, if you are open to that. I don't know much about the process but I've always been curious. Did you invent blood wine?"

"I would love to take you some time. And, yes, I was playing around with different flavors and had just taken a sip of some blood. I ended up trying it out, thinking it wouldn't take, but it did." I noted that he looked so excited talking about his craft, it warmed my heart.

"So, do many people know about what you've created here?" I asked while taking another sip of the delicious concoction.

"Yes. I held a gala a few hundred years ago and served it. Everyone went wild and offered to pay for it in bulk, to take home with them. I do have several contracts with different kingdoms to deliver monthly shipments, they also send me goods to keep creating. One of them being our neighboring kingdom who supplies us with food and goods to help keep us afloat. It's quite time consuming given the demand, but I enjoy it."

It was so nice to see him talking about something he was passionate about. Seeing the way his face lit up in response to my questions, seeing him discuss the hardships he faced in taking over the 'family business' that it had become. Although it was clear he looked at it as a blessing and a way to escape the pressures of being king.

We talked there for what felt like hours. Laughing and getting to know everything about one another. He discussed his family a bit, telling me of a younger sister he once had. She was a great warrior who died along side her parents in the war. He was the sole survivor in family, given his young age. Although it did raise an important question.

"So, I thought Nargue and Marcellus were your siblings?"