Thirty-Nine

I had never kissed a man. Not truly, consensually. I had no idea what it was meant to feel like, but if it always felt this good, I could see why people kissed one another.

It felt as though sparks flew. Literally. The feel of his plump lips against my own, moving so preciously was magical. The sparks I felt on my skin intensified tenfold, everywhere. We moved so in sync, it felt as though I had kissed him hundreds of times. I felt he was made for me and I for him.

I let my hands explore his body, feeling my way up his arms and shoulders. Letting them make their way around his neck, playing softly with the hair there. I cupped his face with my hands while he moved his down and around my waist, pulling me closer.

The violin continued, our own personal symphony.

The kiss went off for what felt like an eternity, and I never wanted it to end. But as the song ended, so did our kiss.

He pulled back, keeping me close and looked me in the eyes. He looked so happy in that moment. The crinkles and smile lines were back and he seemed so connected to me.

"Wow." Was all I had to say. I was stunned. I didn't know it could feel so right.

He chuckled once and agreed, "Yeah. Wow."

He buried his face in the space between my neck and my shoulder and continued our dance, slower now.

After a few minutes I remembered we had been in the middle of dinner and laughed, my stomach rumbling loudly. He pulled back and searched my face.

"Sorry, I was just remembering that I have lamb chops waiting for me." He threw his head back and laughed loudly. That laugh made me feel so safe. It was nothing but joy. He should do nothing but laugh, and kiss me.

"We should finish it, Alfred is waiting till we're done to go home for the night."

I looked to Alfred, my apologies clear on my face, "Sorry Alfred. We'll finish up soon."

"Please, take your time, your Highness." He must've been speaking to Augustus.

We made our way back to our food and quickly finished up. I told August I was taking the bottle with me. It was a gorgeous black with an unforgettable crest stamped onto it. It was August's signature. I promised myself then that I would finish the wine and keep the bottle. To remember our first date.

As we walked back over the petals, I grabbed a few, wanting to have even more memories of our special time together. Hopefully I wasn't falling for him quicker than he was falling for me.

"Wait, August. How did you get all of these flowers? They won't grow back. I hope you didn't-"

"Don't worry about it, Davina. You deserve the world and all of the flowers in it. I just couldn't fit them all in the hallway."

I laughed then, truly laughed. I hadn't been this happy in my whole life. I felt so happy with him.

He picked up one of the flowers from the side of the hall and placed it behind my ear.

"It suits you. You are more beautiful than you will ever be able to comprehend." His voice was a sweet whisper in the quiet hall.

He walked me back to my room and we talked the whole way, his large hand cherishing mine. Protecting it.

There was so much to learn from him, he had been alive so long, he had learned so much himself. It was nice to see that he wasn't cocky about it.

We approached the large double doors and stopped. I turned to him and felt comfortable enough to speak openly, "Thank you for creating such a beautiful evening for both of us. I've cherished every moment. Thank you for being so kind this evening as well. It's nice to see this side of you..."

"Of course. I enjoyed every second of our time together tonight. And I also wanted to apologize for my behavior a few weeks ago. I acknowledge that we were both very upset, but as a man, I should have a better handle on my anger and I am working on it. Thank you for being patient with me."

"As a man, you are allowed to feel things. Whether that's anger, sadness, frustration, and also happiness. You can't push yourself to the side and expect to take care of everyone. You can't show up with your best self if you don't take care of yourself. I want you to understand that, Augustus." This moment became very vulnerable for both of us awfully quickly and I could see on his face that he was okay with it, but very guarded as well.

"Thank you, Davina. I do forget that sometimes." He seemed very nervous. I reached my hand up and caressed his cheek slightly.

I still replay the sadness and pain that I saw and felt from him that day we fought. He has suffered great loss, and I suspected there was much more than he was letting on. I wouldn't push him on the matter.

"Well thank you. You've been quite a gentleman and I am thoroughly impressed, your Highness." I did a quick play curtsy and smiled up at him.

"You're very welcome. Would you care to join me for a private breakfast in the morning?" He asked, looking even more anxious. How could he think I would deny his offer?

"I would love to. I will see you then." I went for the door handle but he stopped me, pulling me closer and planting a polite kiss to my cheek. They warmed in response.

I smiled and returned the kiss to his cheek. This made him blush and I loved the sight. I turned the door handle and entered my room, closing it behind me and ending our magical night.

I made my way to my bed, placing my souvenirs down on the night table. I went to take off my dress and stopped when I spotted the map I had made all those weeks ago, peeking out between the mattress and the box spring.

I noted that I hadn't thought about it in a while. I left it there, deciding to give myself time to think about whether I still wanted to escape this glorious man.