e i g h t e e n

Zoe looked around the abandoned train station taking in the rust-covered train cars and cobwebs

"Well...it has...character," she said. "And walls, and a roof-"

"You hate it" Derek laughed.

"No. I don't hate it. I just...are you sure you don't just wanna stay with us? You know Pearl and Bella don't mind" she said.

"It's too dangerous. With Gerard here and me being the alpha he'll be looking for me. I don't want to draw more attention to you than I have to" he said.

"Who's Gerard?" Zoe asked.

"Allison's grandfather. He's the head of their family. Bella and Pearl didn't tell you?" he asked.

Zoe scoffed. "Please, though two are off in their own world. They don't need me."

"That's not true. Especially now. Things are gonna get messy" he said.

"How do you know? I mean maybe Gerard is only in town because of Kate" she said.

"No. He's here because Peter started a war. He killed an omega last night. Cut him clean in half and abandoned the code" Derek said.

"What does that mean?" Zoe asked.

"It means, it doesn't matter if we've never spilled innocent blood. If we're supernatural, we're on his list" Derek said.

Suddenly a voice called out his name.

"Derek! Derek!"

Zoe turned as a panicked teenage boy ran down the stairs and raced over to Derek.

"What's wrong?" Derek asked.

The boy glanced at Zoe, not knowing if he could talk in front of her.

"It's okay," Derek told him. "What happened?"

"My dad. I think he's dead" the boy said.

"What did you do?" Derek asked as Zoe only grew more confused.

"That's the thing. It wasn't me" the boy said.

"I'm sorry. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on?" Zoe asked.

"This is Isaac. He's part of my pack" Derek said.

"I'm sorry, he's-" Zoe turned to Isaac. "Can you give us one second."

Zoe pushed Derek into one of the train cars.

"You bit him?!" she whispered.

"You know he can definitely hear you," Derek said.

"Derek!" she hissed.

"It's okay. He wanted the bite" Derek said.

"He just came in here and told you his dad is dead. What part of this is okay?" she asked.