Chapter 67

"I'm sorry... I'm truly sorry, Lobel, for getting you involved in this mess because of me."

Ibo awkwardly offered his apology, hoping to somewhat ease Lobel's anger. It was half sincere. The thought that he had caused trouble after Lobel had improved the food and living conditions for the orphanage children weighed on him. Anyone would be angry in this situation, himself included.

However, Lobel merely looked at him silently, not saying a word, a departure from his usual demeanor. There was no smile either. As expected... he seemed really angry.

'What do I do now...?'

The thought of the orphans losing their support was daunting enough to darken his vision.

As he pondered whether to resort to flattery, a sigh-filled voice reached his ears.

"Sigh... This time, you're wrong."

The eyes that once looked up to him with unknown intentions now seemed to regard him with pity. Instantly, his cheeks burned with an indescribable emotion.

It didn't matter anymore whether the misunderstanding was cleared up or not. He wanted to storm out, preferring even the filthy sewers of the city over this.

But with the children involved... he couldn't just leave. Ibo was well aware of the weight of reality his actions carried.

As he was about to kneel, perhaps, Lobel approached and stopped him with a hand.

"This time, I'll give you the correct answer. Listen well. Apologies are for those who have done wrong."

Then, Lobel, surprisingly, knelt on one knee in front of him, reaching out with a long finger to gently touch Ibo's reddened cheek. The touch was light, but the firmness was palpable.

"Bowing your head, kneeling, it's for those who are in the wrong."

Lobel's hand guided Ibo's head to lift slowly.

"How can you bow your head and apologize when you've done nothing wrong? That's foolish."

Ibo wasn't unsettled by such an event. He had been through countless instances of someone rummaging through his room, being falsely accused, and harassed throughout his life.

Though he was momentarily flustered, it was a trifling matter. It wasn't as if he was threatened with a knife, nor did he bleed or bruise.

It really was no big deal.

He tried to say he was fine, but only a trembling breath escaped his parted lips.

He didn't even think to be relieved that Lobel wasn't angry.

It felt as if a hot iron rod was piercing somewhere inside him. The concern in Lobel's voice seemed to drill into his ears, and even his eyes stung.

...He was going to end up crying over such a trivial matter.

Ibo forced strength into his blurry vision. His reddened eyes now caught Lobel's playful smile again.

"This time, you need to properly accept an apology. Understand?"

As Ibo merely watched, Lobel took the glasses that had clumsily hung from his pocket earlier and put them on him.

They had fallen to the floor when he had stumbled earlier, and he had just shoved them into his pocket without wearing them.

Lobel awkwardly smiled as he fitted the glasses on Ibo, apologizing.

"I'm sorry for getting angry. Were you scared earlier? I felt like I had to do it now. Hmm. But don't worry, I'll take care of everything."