Chapter 78

Edric set foot in the royal capital for the first time in his life, yet he felt no great excitement.

The hunting festival, where numerous nobles came out to elevate their family's honor and status, was unbearably tedious.

He was just incredibly frustrated.

Ah... It seems Lobel has no intention of telling me the secret of his injury.

Despite having given him ample opportunity, Lobel never fully disclosed anything.

Why a servant like him possessed such abilities, and about the injuries hidden beneath the bandages...

He even went as far as to deceive or evade the topic. So, Edric stopped asking as well.

There must be some reason for sure.

However, as time gradually passed, his feelings began to change.

...Am I that unworthy? Even though I've become the heir and much has changed...

It was the first time he ever felt such disappointment.

Edric had shown Lobel everything.

The secret of his Diphrace lineage, his mother's story, his miserable and unfortunate past...

It wasn't all willingly disclosed, but he had revealed it nonetheless.

And he would have happily revealed anything not yet shown if Lobel had asked.

But realizing that the other did not feel the same way, he felt a subtle disappointment.

Worrying that maybe he had spoken to others like Crimson or those guys, excluding him... Despite knowing it was childish, he couldn't help but be continuously bothered by it.

That's why recently, he couldn't focus on his reading at all. He just couldn't concentrate.

Edric was surprised to find such a naive aspect remained within him.

But it was a clear fact.

Day by day, his feelings grew deeper the more he saw Lobel.

Let's... "Lobel must have his reasons for acting this way. Just keep waiting as I am now."

Adjusting his feelings of disappointment, he embraced his crossbow again.

Then, he raised his head to survey the situation beyond the rock he was leaning against.

If it was as written in the ancient texts, the silver deer would definitely appear today. That was Edric's goal.

Edric remembered the many noble youths who had mocked him at the start of the hunting festival.

[Ah, so you can walk. It wasn't just a rumor.]

[But how long will that last? You'll just end up being humiliated!]

At that time, Lobel was also listening.

He was glaring at the nobles with an even angrier expression than Edric.

If Crimson hadn't shielded Lobel's eyes with his large frame, a big fight might have broken out. But Crimson stood in front of Lobel as if to protect him, nodding towards Edric. Behind them, Rimson and Arif followed. Edric realized in that moment that they were his true friends. Despite the mockery from the nobles, they stood by Edric's side.

Edric looked into Lobel's eyes once more.

A commotion could have erupted.

Edric thought of the family crests embroidered on the hunting clothes worn by those men as he aimed his crossbow deep into the forest.