Chapter 70

"That rat bastard! How dare he impersonate someone and sneak into Denkart!"

Bang!

The rage was etched across Count Klant's face as he slammed the table.

The attendees at the Denkart meeting, which was usually reserved for matters of utmost importance, held their breath.

It wouldn't be strange if someone were to confront him right then and there.

"Keep a closer eye on him," he said.

At that moment, a nobleman sitting across from Count Klant spoke up.

As wise as Count Klant, he was equally aged. He was known for his sagacity.

While they always respected his opinions, this time, Count Klant was furious.

"We can't just stand by and watch him deceive Denkart," the nobleman said.

"Even the Duke himself is aware of it, but we cannot intervene."

"......!"

"Surely, you're not unaware of this," the attendees nodded. Even if Alexis was harsh with his children, there was no way they could surpass the thoroughness of the chief investigator.

They might have already delved into parts they didn't know. No, perhaps even more.

The chief investigator, stroking his white beard, spoke in a low voice.

"Perhaps... he's even aware of what lies above. Perhaps he's a confidant or an aide."

Count Klant clenched his jaw, though his anger remained.

The chief investigator's insight surpassed even Edric's.

"Let's move on to the next agenda. Handling such a crucial matter exclusively shows that the Duke places infinite trust in us, doesn't it?"

"Indeed. Let's discuss it further."

The attendees exchanged glances.

It was a significant meeting regarding Edric Denkart's engagement.

Edric never forgot Lobel's birthday.

More precisely, it was the wish Lobel had made on his birthday.

The wish that there would be no suffering in the world was something only someone who had truly suffered could utter.

Lobel said it with a playful smile, but his eyes betrayed deep sorrow.

"Then, where did Lobel hurt? Could there still be a secret hidden in the bandages covering those wounds?"

Lobel might not know, but Edric had been worried about the bandages he wore all this time.

The fact that he still used bandages was inexplicable. It had been bothering him for a long time.

"My lord."

Ariph's call snapped Edric out of his reverie.

Seeing that the shadow over his face didn't lift, Ariph looked concerned.

Edric had been like this since Lobel's birthday.

He hadn't gone a day without wielding his sword, as if thorns would sprout from his hands if he didn't.

Ariph, with a worried expression, lowered his sword.

"Today, I'll take a rest."

"No."