Chapter 84

It was strange.

Lobel should have been at the Denkart mansion by now... Rather than feeling relieved, Edric felt a sense of foreboding and told his retainer,

"Do not follow me."

"Yes, young master. I will wait here."

The duke's retainer bowed his head quietly, as if he had already anticipated Edric's solitary action.

Quickly donning his cloak, Edric hid behind a large tree.

He had already learned how to conceal his presence from Arif and the other knights. Silently, he watched their conversation.

"Lobelia! How could you do this? Do you have any idea how worried mother and father have been since you disappeared? They haven't slept at all. Not for a single moment!"

"I'm sorry, brother."

Edric truly felt relieved.

Even from their brief exchange, the close relationship between the two was evident.

He couldn't be completely sure, but at least it seemed they hadn't grown up in an unfortunate family environment like his own.

And it appeared that Lobel's parents loved her more than he had thought.

"We even went to the White Shadows for help... Tell me. What on earth made you leave?"

Edric listened more intently. The reason was very curious to him.

Why disguise her identity and risk danger to serve him, especially when she had such a loving family to return to...

But even when Robert pressed her, Lobel kept her reasons to herself.

"There was an important reason."

"More important than family?"

"It was... at that time..."

"How could you... How could you do this to us..."

Robert eventually broke down in tears. Lobel went to him and embraced him.

Seeing Lobel's shoulders shaking, it was clear she was also crying.

Edric wanted to rush over and comfort her but didn't want to interrupt their reunion.

He barely managed to stay put until their weeping subsided.

"Sniff, sob... How are mom and dad?... Are they well?"

"Of course! They're at home. Let's go back. Quickly, let's go inside. There's good news too."

The two gradually moved away.

Edric kept his place until their figures had completely disappeared, then covered his face.

Until he came here, he had suspected that Lobel had left home due to severe financial difficulties or family issues.

But that wasn't the case.

'Then... why disguise her gender to serve me...' His thoughts became complicated as he returned to his room.

Upon entering, his mood plummeted. The duke's retainer, as if waiting, greeted him.

"I will now convey the duke's proposal."

His smile was as unnerving as that of a lowly serpent.

***

"My goodness, my goodness... Lobelia! My daughter!! My beautiful daughter!!!"

Upon seeing me, mom tried to run over but collapsed on the ground, as her legs gave out.

Dad hurried to support her but looked at me as if I were a ghost.