Chapter 13

Charles could tell the encounter with Queen Elizabeth had shaken up Diana. She had laid under the covers of their bed, curled up in a ball, whimpering in fear, tears streaming down her face.

He never hated his mother as much as he did now, at this very moment. Diana had done nothing to Elizabeth, yet the latter seemed to insist on despising his princess.

No one hurt Diana and got away with it. Admittedly he was extremely protective of his wife. They'd only been married for seven, almost eight years but he'd loved every moment of it, even the mood swings that happened during her pregnancies or during her periods.

"Hey Di," Charles said, cupping her face. "I'm here. It's going to be alright. I won't let anything or anyone hurt you. Ok? I'm here darling. I love you so much, alright?"

Diana nodded but still remained hidden under the covers. Charles gently wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to him, stroking her soft, blonde hair. He rocked her back and forth, his hand running from the top of her head to the bottom of her back.

She leaned into him, soaking up his warmth that radiated from his body. He kissed her forehead as she wrapped her arms around his neck, burying her face in his chest.

They didn't hear Phillip scream. No one did.

Charles continued to hold and comfort his wife. She sobbed into his chest.

"Let it out. Let it all out. It's alright, I love you Diana. I love you so much sweetheart."

"I-it still scares me Charles. I...I know it's been three weeks but I'm still terrified that they'll come back... I don't want be die. I don't want to be separated from you..."

Charles felt his heart shatter into a million pieces at the fear on his wife's voice.

"Diana. Look at me darling..."

Diana looked up at her husband, tears still steaming down her face, still looking terrified for her safety.

"I'm here for you. I always will be. I married you, didn't I? I love you and our boys more than anything in this world, in this universe. So, I won't let anyone or anything take you away from me, from my protection, from my love, from our sons. No one, and I mean nobody will get away with laying a finger on you, let alone hurting you. You're my best friend, my wife and my princess. So, I won't let anything happen to you. Ok?"

Diana nodded, smiling at her husband. Maybe everything will be ok after all

Little did she know, Prince Phillip was dead