23 - Not A Damn Thing

HEESEUNG'S POV

"Mr. Heeseung, Miss Sena, can you look here please?" The cameramen immediately swarm around us when we step out of my car and onto the red carpet, their flashes blinding me momentarily. I sneak my arm around Sena's waist, pulling her closer to me. This is just another event, another night of flashing lights and fake smiles. But tonight feels different. Tonight, I have her by my side, and that makes all the difference.

I glance over at her, and my breath catches in my throat at the sight of her. She's absolutely radiant in that emerald green dress, her hair styled perfectly, and the way she smiles up at me sends a warmth through my chest that I can't quite describe. She's my partner for the evening, my fake fiancée, but at this moment, she feels like so much more. She fits against me so perfectly and for a moment I'd like to freeze time and enjoy her presence forever. But the flashing lights remind me that this is all for the sake of the little lie we're selling to the public.

"Are you nervous?" She whispers, still smiling at the cameras. Her voice is barely audible over the noise of the crowd and the clicking of the cameras, but even a whisper from her sends shivers down my spine.

"Why?" I whisper back, tightening my grip around her waist. "Are you worried about me?"

She shakes her head slightly, her gaze never leaving mine. "No, not really. I just... I guess I'm nervous about... us." Her words are hesitant, but I can feel the sincerity behind them. Us. It's a word that holds so much meaning, so much potential, and yet, it's also a word that terrifies me.

"Us?" I repeat the word, ignoring the cameras flashing around us. "We're okay, Sena. We're doing good and the world believes we're together. We can believe it too and just enjoy this moment." Her smile softens and it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It's the most genuine smile, one that reaches her eyes and lights up her entire face. Her eyes are two pools of utter affection and happiness and I can't help but get lost in them. "You're very beautiful, Sena. I'm lucky to have you by my side tonight."

She laughs and if I could take the sound and keep it forever, I'd put it inside a locket and wear it around my neck. "You're not so bad yourself, Heeseung." Her voice is soft, barely a whisper, and yet it fills me with warmth and happiness. "And thank you, for everything. For the dress, for the flowers, for being here with me." I'm not so bad myself, she says, but I feel like I'm the most fortunate man in the world just to have her in my life. I want to tell her that, to pour my heart out and let her know just how much she means to me, but the words get caught in my throat. Instead, I settle for a smile, one that hopefully shows her just how much she truly means to me.

At this point, it's not just a business arrangement. It's not just a lie for the sake of our career, it's so much more and if I said I would never fall for her, I'd be lying to myself. Because I'm already falling, falling fast and hard, and there's no way I can stop it now.

We walk inside the building and through the crowd and everyone is staring at us. At her. She's truly a vision, and though she might not really know it, but anyone in this room would dream of being in my place right now, with her by their side. I can feel the envy and admiration in the gazes that follow us, and for the first time, I don't mind being in the spotlight. As long as Sena is with me, everything else fades into the background. Ujin really had the nerve to cheat on her when he had the chance to appreciate her, to cherish her, to make her feel so incredibly loved. But his loss is my gain, and I'm going to make him regret it for the rest of his miserable life.

"This way," I guide her through the crowd, my hand on the small of her back, feeling the warmth of her body against mine. She's glowing, smiling at everyone that greets her and I can't help but want to be like her. Events and social gatherings are the least of my favorite things, but with Sena by my side, they suddenly seem more bearable. I might even enjoy my time here, knowing that I'll be spending it with her.