30 - A Mother's First Sin

SENA'S POV

"Sena, sweetheart," Mom greets me at the door when I go back home on the weekend. My siblings are outside the country once again so it's my turn to keep Mom company. Though I hate coming back to this place because whenever I set foot inside, it feels like I'm stepping back into a time capsule of memories I would rather forget. The familiar sight of the living room, with its worn-out furniture and faded curtains, brings back a flood of emotions I've tried so hard to bury. But for Mom's sake, I put on a brave face, plastering a smile on my lips as I hug her tightly.

"Hi, Mom," I say, trying to sound cheerful. "I'm here." Her embrace is comforting and I rest my head against her shoulder, letting that motherly love envelop me for a moment. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." She whispers, almost as if she's afraid that saying it any louder would break the fragile bubble of normalcy we've created around us. As we part, I follow her into the kitchen, the heart of our home. I used to spend most of my time sitting in the corner next to the kitchen window, watching the world go by as Mom cooked our favorite meals. But now, even the familiar comfort of the kitchen feels bittersweet, a constant reminder of the life I left behind. "How are you?"

"Me?" I smile. "I'm doing fine. Work is keeping me busy and Steph is helping me manage everything. Life is good," I finish, trying to sound convincing even to myself. Mom nods understandingly, but I can see the worry in her eyes. She knows there's more to it than just a busy schedule. "You must have heard about Heeseung. He got injured and he's been recovering," I continue, shifting the conversation away from myself.

"Yeah. I heard your father talk about it." The mention of my father makes me shiver. He always has this effect on me, even after I left home, even when I'm miles away. "It's a shame," Mom continues, unaware of the unease that washes over me at the mention of him. "He seemed like such a promising young man."

"He is." I smile. The only good things in my life right now are Steph's and Heeseung's presence. They make everything else bearable, even the memories I'd rather forget. "But he'll bounce back. He's resilient."

"Do you like him?" She pauses whatever she's doing and looks at me, her eyes searching mine for the truth. The question catches me off guard, and for a moment, I'm at a loss for words. My heart races as I try to gather my thoughts, unsure of how much to reveal to my mother. I know she's aware of the fact that Ujin and I have broken up, but the way she doesn't even mention it makes me wonder if she's avoiding the topic or if she's simply giving me space to open up in my own time. "Heeseung, I mean. Do you see a future with him?" 

"I... I do," A  lump forms in my throat. Admitting my feelings out loud feels like a weight lifted off my chest, yet at the same time, it's terrifying. "Being with him... it just feels right, you know? I think I've finally found someone who truly understands me, who accepts me for who I am."

"That's all anyone could ever hope for, Sena. To find someone who sees them for who they truly are and loves them unconditionally." She says and I watch as she stares at the window for a little too long, too lost in some memory or thought to notice my gaze. Sometimes I wonder just what thoughts are on her mind, what memories keep resurfacing to haunt her. But I know better than to pry. "I'm happy for you."

"Thank you." The thought of her supporting me is a comforting blanket I pull tighter around me. "Is Dad home?" 

"He's in his study," She says and I can hear the tension in her voice. My parents were never the loving couple who'd make their children believe in love and want to grow up and be just like them.Or maybe I was the problem because, as my father said once when I was ten years old, I was just a mistake. A mere child who wasn't planned for, who disrupted their carefully laid plans for a perfect family. "You should go say hello."