Part Two

I awoke, gasping for air and clutching my chest, the immobilizing pain still lingering across my body, but I was no longer on the floor of Eva's bedroom. Yet, I wasn't in the hospital either. I was however on the ground, the left side of my face stung and I clutched it on instinct. I briefly looked around and took in my surroundings.

I was in a bedroom, an expensive bedroom with ornate architecture gracing the entirety of its walls. Before me stood a boy, no older than twelve I would assume. He had glistening silver hair and piercing blue eyes. His fist was raised as if he had just hit something....Did he hit me?

"Oh, come on Edith, I didn't hit you that hard." He said with a judgmental scoff. 'Edith?' I thought in confusion. Why is this boy calling ME that name? That's impossible, I can't be Edith, I swore I had just  died. But, that didn't matter at the moment. More importantly, did this kid just hit me?

"You..." I started as I stood up. "You hit me?!" I yelled out as I reeled my hand back and slapped him across his face. "Who do you think you are?" I screamed in anger.

"I'm the crown prince!" He yelled back. "Who are you to hit me?" I shuddered at his words. The crown prince? Heinry, the male lead?

"You-" I contemplated not arguing with him for a second, he was the crown prince, my future murderer after all, I shouldn't anger him, but at the same time, this kid was being mad disrespectful. "You hit me first!" I yelled.

"Not that hard!"

"Yuh-huh!"

"Nuh-uh!"

"Then why was I on the ground?"

"That's your fault!"

"Well, I certainly didn't punch myself."

"That's.....you're the one who was being weird!" He yelled and backed up.

"In what way?!" I yelled back.

"You kept saying you loved me!" He looked disgusted as he spoke.

I sighed at myself, remembering the character I have apparently possessed is obsessive to a fault. Her infatuation with the prince knows no bounds. However, I am determined to win this rebuttal.

"Well, we certainly don't have the same sense of humor!"

"Pardon?"

"You actually took me seriously? How foolish of you to believe I would love YOU."

"Excuse me? I do not find you funny."

"It would appear so as you are so willing to strike someone for a mere joke. I must ask, does your highness have a sense of humor at all?"

"You-! I will have you know that I am very comedic, however your words greatly disgusted me. You sounded quite serious. You're just embarrassed now that I didn't return your feelings."

"Hah. You're just further proving my point. How could you not take that as a joke. In no world would I ever genuinely say I love you. Moreover, I would hardly call what you did simply not returning my feelings."

"What else would it be then?"

"Assault."

"Hey, you know that's not what I-"

"Blatant assault."

"Stop that!"

"Assaulter!"

"I demand silence!"

"Or what, assaulter?!"

"I'm not an assaulter!"

"Are too!"

"Am not!

"ARE TOO!

"AM NO---"

Suddenly, the door burst open and in walked a very gorgeous woman with shimmering auburn hair just as we were pointing our fingers in each other's faces. "Oh, I see you two are getting along well."

"Nonsense!" Heinry quickly replied and turned his head away. "Hmph!" He crossed his arms as he fumed in anger. I, in turn, just sighed and rubbed my temple. 'Did I really just argue with a little boy like that?'

"Oh, I see." The woman said and smiled awkwardly. "Well, I am terribly sorry to interrupt your precious time, but," She then turned her attention from Heinry to me. "Edith, your father requests to see you." Why did she say my name so casually? If she is but a servant, she should address me as "duchess" or "my lady". However, she is dressed in very extravagant clothing: A beautiful light-green dress with white lace accentuating both the sleeves and neckline. Her entire figure was decorated with some form of silver jewelry where the dress didn't cover, her ears held especially beautiful diamond earrings with intricately patterned metal lining.

"Come with me, daughter." She smiled with an outstretched hand. 'ah," I thought. 'I was right. No way this woman is a servant. She is my mother.'

I instantly returned her gaze with a warm smile and grasped her hand excitedly. "yes, mother!" She flinched a little at my reaction. "This is unexpected," She muttered and I tilted my head at her words. "Usually, all of the persuasion in the world could not get you to leave the prince's side. Yet, today you follow me so willingly."

Though her words made me panic internally, as we are in a fantasy novel and the public is not afraid to 'burn the witch at the stake', and given my sudden change in behavior, it might be assumed that I am possessed, my outer resolve didn't falter. "Oh, mother, I assure you I have matured past that." I forced a cheerful tone.

"It was about time." I heard the prince say from behind me. I whipped my head around and shot him a glare. "Shall we go now, mother?" I turned to her and clutched her arm with a childlike expression on my face. "I think I'll become nauseous if I'm in a certain someone's presence any longer." I roll my eyes and my mother can't help but laugh at my behavior, assuming me and the prince were just two kids in an adorable little conflict.

Heinry clenches his fists at my words and I can see how obviously he is fuming in anger. I choke my laughter down as I leave the room with my mind made up. It may be cliche, but I will rewrite this story, and what better way to prevent my death if I don't get married to that insufferable prince at all? I will make sure that, in this life, Edith Thornwood will never fall for Heinry Demarcus.