Part Twenty-seven

Three years later....

"Oh, my dear Heinry, I simply can't wait for your birthday celebration!" Evalie clasped her hands together as she stood before him in the English classroom of the academy.

"Evalie," He sat still before her, not bothering to stand up or even meet her gaze. "Haven't I told you not to speak to me in public?"

"Well, when else would I speak to you?" She pouted before reaching down to clasp his hands. She leaned close to his ear to speak which made him sigh with great annoyance. "Lest you intend on speaking to me in private?" She snickered close to his face, attempting to mask it as a girlish giggle, but Heinry knew its true nature.

He pushed her away gently and then finally met her eyes. Exhaustion was evident on his face.

"We may be engaged as of now, but don't expect me to hesitate about annulling it as soon as I am able." He looked at her coldly, clearly disgusted to even be seen with her. Though, to everyone else she was an angel. Heinry was lucky to have her and everybody knew that---especially his father.

"Heinry," She looked down at him and he winced at her use of his name, "Must I remind you what your father said again?" She held her hand to her heart with a pitiful look lacing her countenance, "Don't take your anger out on me, I'm not the one who wants this." She fought back the smirk attempting to crawl upon her seemingly worried face.

Heinry rubbed his temple. It wasn't that he forgot what his father told him, it was that he knew it all too well. The great, noble Emperor known as his father had done the most unforgivable thing Heinry could ever think of. He wouldn't have cared if that foul man whipped him a hundred times, he would never agree to the engagement. But, that man did something much more sinister...

--------------

Three years ago...

Evalie and her parents had been sent from the Emperor's study, leaving just him and his son. They stared at each other with challenging gazes. Heinry calmed his breathing and attempted to reason with his cunning father.

"Your highness," Heinry flashed a forced smile, "Was that girl not a commoner just months ago?"

"Strange of you to address your future wife as 'that girl', Heinry." His eyes lowered into an intense glare. He was serious about the engagement, Heinry could tell.

"I just find the decision rather sudden, father." Heinry didn't shift his gaze anywhere but the Emperors irises. He stayed composed with a steady expression on his face.

"Let's just say I got an inkling."

"How cryptic, your highness."

"Quite so, isn't it? Yet, I can't help but feel that it is a great decision."

"And what is my say in this decision?"

"Oh," His father smirked as if he was anticipating the question--waiting for it, praying for it to happen. "You may say whatever you like, my boy." Heinry's eyes would've lit up if he he didn't know the man sitting before him.

"Am I correct in assuming you have something else to say?" Heinry inquired, tapping his foot against the floor ever so slightly. His father then stood up from his seat as if his words were too great to be spoken while sitting down. He needed to tower before Heinry and see all angles of the young boy's reaction.

"That Thornwood girl," The emperor slowly strided towards Heinry with his hands behind his back. Heinry flinched at the mention of his love's last name. "She's quite pretty, isn't she?"

He made his way closer to Heinry until he was standing right in front of him. The boy remained frigid and unmoving, only his eyes following his father's haunting figure.