3 - Yarn Troubles

This chapter is brought to you by: wheelofnames.com !!!

"Ragatha, I don't feel like I'm ready to let Gangle in yet..." you sheepishly respond. Even though it's a shame, she completely understands and is even a little touched that you felt so comfortable with her.

"Alrighty then! Don't feel bad about it hon, you're new here! That's kinda how these things work. At least you're with someone and you aren't completely alone, yknow?"

You let out a brief sigh, feeling bad for Gangle but deciding that right now you should prioritize your mental health first. Plus if you really were trapped here forever, you'd have a lot of time to eventually befriend the collection of ribbons, and perhaps everyone else! It's not like she'd leave. And before you knew it, a creak rang through your ears as you looked over and noticed Ragatha opening the doors.

A few whispers were exchanged between the two, and through the small crack between the rag doll and the door frame you barely caught a glimpse of... what was her name... Mangle? taking off her comedy mask, revealing the tragedy mask that lie beneath it. If you felt bad before, those feelings were amplified by 10. 

Eventually, the door was shut with Ragatha turning back to you. She looked a bit down, but as soon as the two of you made eye contact, her solemn face was replaced with a very energetic smile!

"It seems its just the two of us now! And, I believe I still haven't had to opportunity to explain this world to you! Quick summary, throw all the knowledge you have of the real world out the window, because this place follows no laws. I've seen Jax walk on the walls before..." She shuddered at that last thought.

You didn't have the chance to say anything (not like you really wanted to, acknowledging how much your new friend enjoyed talking) before Ragatha started talking again. 

"Gosh, where do I start? Umm, first of all as you've probably already noticed, we can't remember ANYTHING from our previous lives. Our names, our ages, all of it is just... gone. Buttttt, I guess you could say it leaves A WHOLE BUNCH OF ROOM for us to remember things about the circus!" You couldn't help but think she seemed a bit too energetic about this situation. I mean, she did have a lot of time to cope. 

"Continuing, we also can't curse here. Or do anything that is rated more than PG. So, no undressing, no cursing, I believe both platonic and romantic relationships are allowed, but nothing sexual, capeesh?"

You responded with silence, before quietly letting something you shouldn't be saying roll off your tongue. As you were practically jumpscared by this deafening noise, you somewhat immediately found out that no matter how quietly you said something "non-family-friendly," the censor would blast out the eardrums of everyone nearby, and if someone told you everyone in the circus could hear it, you wouldn't doubt their words. 

Ragatha laughed sadly at your attempts, still a little spooked by the censor as she had been expecting it less than you were. "Umm," she stuttered, "to keep us from... losing our sanities... Caine set up these adventures for us to go on. Usually they're... pretty mediocre, and they don't happen too often. Probably once every couple weeks. But we have had instances where we've had to wait MONTHS! That usually only happens when everyone in the circus is bonding really well and is doing well mentally, meaning that no adventure is necessary. 

"We also don't experience basic human needs, like thirst, hunger, or being tired. And time passes weird here. Sometimes a day can last what feels like a couple hours, while other times it lasts what feels like a week! There really is no pattern. Sorry, this is probably a lot to take in!"

"No no, it's fine!" you quickly reassure the troubled rag doll. This conversation seemed to be draining her more than it was you. "Are you fine though? We can take a break for you if you need!" 

Her eyes widened at first, perhaps she was used to looking out for everyone else while having no one to look out for herself, but as quickly as they had widened they relaxed as a pleasant smirk replaced her once shocked expression. 

"I... I'll be alright!" she slowly replied. You knew how to identify an automatic response, even though you couldn't remember how. Before she had the chance to continue, you walked over to the bin you saw her collecting all her crochet items into and grabbed out the first hook and yarn you saw. 

As you handed them to her, you quickly noticed a mistake, and it seemed she noticed it too as she let out a genuine laugh. 

"Silly, I know you don't crochet, but this hook is way too big for this yarn size. The biggest I'd use for size 4 yarn would most likely be a 5.5 mm, while this is a 7 mm. This color is really pretty though! You have excellent taste."

Interested in learning more about not just crocheting, but also Ragatha herself, you let her talk and followed her over to an area where she had a stash of metallic crochet hooks. After rummaging through them, she grabbed sizes ranging from a 3 mm to a 5.5 mm. As she laid them out in front of you, she put the decision in your hands.

"I've crocheted a little something for everyone in this circus, even Pomni, and now you deserve something too as our newest member! I still want it to remain a surprise, but some people appreciate smaller things as they're easier to store and possibly even carry around, while bigger things can show someone's devotion to you! It's up to you I'd say. Usually it's easier to make smaller things with a smaller hook, as the stitches are held together tighter. Bigger hooks on the other hand are usually used to make bigger projects, such as blankets, and the bigger the hook the bigger the type of yarn you can use! So it's up to you!"

In front of you lies every hook size from 3 mm to 5.5 mm. A smaller project would take less of Ragatha's time, but a blanket to keep you warm at nights would be really comforting. In all honesty, I'd love anything made by Ragatha but I know she would like me to pick. And judging by the fact it's a surprise so I can't ask what she'd crochet for me, I should probably just pick a hook size. I'm thinking the best possible hook size to pick would be...