04

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱ but i'm a fire, and i'll keep your brittle little heart warm
TAYLOR SWIFT ^

LUKE

I'M NOT a complete dick head, despite the stereotypes. All hockey players are heartless, blah blah. If so, I could be a gentleman. Sometimes.

Lorelei had been silent for the past few minutes, only thanking me before I practically forced her to get in. A girl walking home at night by herself was a red flag. I tried to convince myself that I only am giving her a ride to make myself feel better. You know, in case she got kidnapped or something.

"So, how is your season going?" Lorelei finally broke the uncomfortable silence, making me furrow my brows. She cared?

"Undefeated." I rubbed my chin, glancing down at my dashboard to see my slow speed. "What's your deal with hockey? I never see you at games."

Lorelei rolled her lips into her mouth with a shrug. "My dad was a big hockey fan growing up. He..uh..never mind."

I knitted my brows together before peering over at her. "You good?"

Lorelei nodded quickly, tucking her dark hair behind her ears but I could sense the change in her demeanor. "All good."

I just hummed, taking a wrong turn. She leaned closer to see the street sign, parting her lips as she shook her head. "You're going the wrong way. I thought you said you knew where you were going?"

"I do." Was all I said, hiding my smirk. "Don't flatter yourself, Lorelei, I'm not going to kill you."

Lorelei crossed her arms, leaning back into the seat. "I can't fucking believe I'm in Luke Hughes's car right now."

"Do you know how many girls would love to say that?" I purred, boosting my own ego as she scoffed. "You should be honored, Sanders."

"Far from it." She snapped back.

I chuckled lowly, resting my wrist on the top of the wheel as I kept driving, staring forward the whole time.

"You know, Luke, I don't know why you hate me so much." Lorelei fiddled with her fingers. The first time I hadn't seen her with a snarky comeback, she seemed nervous.

There's a simple explanation to that;I can't face rejection. And there was no way in fuck I was admitting that to her.

"It was a while ago, Lorelei." I attempted to play it off. "You're just easy to poke fun at. I guess it's been running and you've played along with it."

Lorelei dropped her shoulders, darting her tongue out across her lips. "I guess. Or maybe you're just really fucking irritating."

I chewed harshly on the skin inside my cheek, hearing the hum of her laugh as she tried to suppress it. "I should've let your ass walk home."

"You're the one that offered." She sighed, staring at me. I didn't look over at her. "Truthfully, did you talk shit about me to all your friends just to cover up the truth that I embarrassed you?"

I swallowed, pressing my finger against the lips as if I was sealing them shut. Yes, Lorelei.

"Totally was." She shook her head with a click of her tongue, leaning back to press her head against the seat. "I burned your ego."

"Would you just shut up." I knitted my brows together, itching to get her out of my truck.

Lorelei rolled her lips into her mouth, shifting awkwardly. "If you wanted to sound cool to your friends, then why didn't you just lie?"

"What? What are you talking about?" I finally looked at her, seeing her shrunken into my passenger seat with an unreadable expression.

Lorelei breathed deeply, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Why didn't you just lie or something? You could've told them we hooked up. You told them the truth. Why?"

I tensed because I didn't know the reason either. "I don't know, Lorelei."

"Bullshit." She cursed, now turning in her seat to fully face me. "You went out of your way to call me a bitch and a prude. Wouldn't have been easier just to lie?"

"I'm not like that, Lorelei." I exclaimed. "Believe it or not but I won't lie about some stupid hookup. Sure, I talked shit about you but don't play the fucking victim."

Lorelei parted her lips as I pulled in front of her dorms, not budging to leave my car, only unbuckling her seatbelt with her eyes still glued to me.

"Victim?" She said in disbelief. "Me? Playing the victim? You started all of this!"

She was right. We both knew she was. "Goodnight, Lorelei."

Lorelei stared at me with something that made my insides twist;not in a good way. A look of pure anger and hatred, fueling from being in a tight space together.

"Fuck you, Luke." She got out and slammed my door as I could feel my truck rattle from the impact.

I rubbed my palms over my face, darting my eyes back to the window as I watched her sprint to her dorm. I guess she did hate me that much.

I deserved it. I deserved all of it.

hehe