23

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱ we make these memories for ourselves
where our eyes are never closing
hearts are never broken
ED SHEERAN^

LUKE

LORELEI'S ROOM had practically become my own, constantly being here, making myself at home, I was surprised she wasn't kicking me out.

"What are you doing?" I asked, slumped against her headboard as I could hear her shuffling behind me.

A small chuckle left her lips as I moved to peek around the bed, furrowing my brows as I stared at her backside.

"I forgot that I brought this freshman year." Lorelei turned around, holding a bulky camera that looked as if it dated back to the 80's. "It's been in this box for who knows how long."

I sat up as she placed herself on her bed, toying with it before it made a beeping noise, signaling it was on.

"Ah-ha." I hummed, watching her adjust the lens. "So, it does work?"

"We're getting there." Lorelei mumbled in concentration, sliding the SD card fully in as she adjusted it. "Okay."

She lifted the large camera, bringing it to her eye as she flipped out the side camera, giving her a full view of me.

"It's a video." She laughed softly as I awkwardly stayed still, thinking it was a photograph. "Lorelei Sanders here. And who am I here with?"

She made a makeshift microphone with her hand, placing it just before my lips as I grabbed her wrist gently, playing along. "Her future husband, Luke Hughes."

"Did you guys hear that?" She turned the camera as she widened her eyes, flipping it back to me. "Maybe we'll play this at our wedding."

"And our kids." I added, shooting the camera a wink.

Lorelei rolled her bottom lip between her teeth. "You're really jumping the gun here, huh? Kids, already?"

I shrugged, feeling her lay on my chest with her chin pressing against my stomach, the camera still on me. "Are you going to interview me or what, Sanders?"

"Hm." She said in thought. "Where do you see yourself in the next year?"

"Hopefully playing hockey." I crossed my arms, tapping my chin lightly. "With my beautiful girlfriend in the stands. And, she'll be the best wag Jersey has ever seen."

Lorelei blushed harshly at my words, fighting her grin that so desperately wanted to appear. "Correct. Why is Lorelei the coolest and best girlfriend, sir?"

"She is a total geek." I sighed lowly, earning a pinch to my hip as I hissed. "A hot geek. She's incredibly smart, energetic, gentle. She has the kindest heart and she can also be a raging force if needed."

Lorelei blinked, pulling her brows together as she stared up at me in complete awe. Has no one ever told her these things before?

"And, I think I'm the luckiest man." My eyes darted to her this time. "I wouldn't want it any other way."

"I think he just brought tears to my eyes." Lorelei croaked, her big brow eyes indeed teary. "He's the sweetest. Only when he wants to be, don't be fooled."

I narrowed my eyes at the girl, shaking my head as I took the camera from her hold, now making it face her.

"Okay, Lorelei Sanders here. February 3rd." I zoomed in on her slightly as she swatted me away. "Lorelei, where do you see yourself this time next year?"

"Ok, copy cat." She mocked with a slight scrunch to her nose. "Uh, well, hopefully I'll be continuing to study literature. And then, being a hockey girlfriend as my only other personality trait."

I nodded with approval. "I think that sounds like a great future, Lor. I say you drop out of Michigan and move to New Jersey, yeah?"

"I'll have to think about that one." Lorelei pursued her lips. "I get homesick pretty easily."

"Wow." I clicked my tongue. "How do you feel that the Luke Hughes is your boyfriend? First impressions?"

Lorelei glanced up in thought, dragging her pointer finger along her bottom lip. "Okay, well, I thought you were a tryhard. Oh, and you definitely don't take rejection easy."

"Oh, God." I scoffed, recalling back on the night Lorelei and I first met.

"Overall, I thought you were the most attractive man I had ever seen." Lorelei grinned from ear to ear. "I feel, you know, absolutely honored to call you my boyfriend."

I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I placed my hand over the lens of the camera, flipping it back to me as she crawled up to lay beside me, both of us in frame.

"That's it, folks." I jeered, nodding. "Luke and Lorelei signing out."

Lorelei pressed the button as she ended the video, saving it to the file before she shut the camera off fully.

"Do you think we'll still be together? You know, when you leave?" Lorelei asked suddenly, catching me surprise.

We haven't spoken about my depart from Umich, frankly, I didn't know when it was. But, with my suspicions from Jack, it would be by the end of this year.

"I would hope." I nodded. "How much do you love long distance?"

Lorelei chuckled, running her fingers along my chest. "I think I have some things that definitely top long distance."

"Me too." I sighed, feeling the growing lump in my throat as my stomach pulsed. "Lorelei, there's something I need to tell you."

She pulled her brows together, scanning my face as she parted her lips. Before she could say anything, knocks echoed throughout the room, Ellie's voice on the other side.

"I'm coming in!" Ellie barged in, one of Dylan's old shirts accompanying her body. "Hi, Luke. Sorry, Lor, I didn't know you were having company."

"Cute shirt." I scrunched my nose slightly watching the brunette blush.

Ellie flipped me off, crossing her arms. "Lorelei, I really need your help with my project. I don't understand this urban dictionary shit. Please."

Lorelei glanced at me, almost for permission. I nodded, despite wanting to lay in this position for hours, days even.

"I should get going anyway." I patted Loreleis back as I slipped on my shoes. "I'll make sure to tell Dylan you're putting his shirt to good use."

Ellie scoffed, rolling her eyes with a groan. "Shut up, Luke!"

"See you later, Lo." I leaned down to peck her lips.

"Bye, Luke." Lorelei looked at me through her eyelashes.

I found it hard to leave, wanting to cling to her at every given moment. To think of being miles from her, made me absolutely ill.

parents.