17

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱ i notice everything you do or don't do
TAYLOR SWIFT^

LORELEI

I WAS and always had been, extremely impatient. On the ride here, I was practically begging Luke to do double the speed limit, the thought of walking around a room filled with my favorite writing pieces was equivalent to when I had gotten accepted into Michigan.

Luke held my hand as I dragged him into the venue and I knew he had felt like a lost puppy. The captain of the hockey team going to a writing gallery filled with bookworms, not exactly his comfort zone.

"So, now what?" Luke muttered to me, staring around just like I was. I nudged him slightly, flashing him a toothy grin before walking deeper into the venue.

"Just follow me." I chuckled, moving us through people. Most of the people here had been well over thirty, we seemed to be the youngest.

There was small booths with light up screens, projecting quotes, a picture, and a biography about the writer.

I clasped my hands together with excitement, feeling like a little kid in a candy shop. Luke stood behind me, chest pressing against my backside.

"William Shakespeare?" Luke hummed, the scent of his cologne bombarding my nostrils. The savory smell that was engraved in my mind.

"In the flesh." I nodded, feeling his arms come to wrap around me, holding me tightly from behind as he rested his chin on my shoulder, eye following along to his quotes.

"What's done cannot be undone.", "I defy you, stars."
"For never was a story of more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo.", "It is the east, and Juliet is the sun."

"Some of these are weird." Luke traced his finger over the words, earning a soft laugh from me.

I shook my head, turning to face him as we locked eyes. "You just don't understand the truth behind it. You'll catch on someday."

"Where's the exciting people?" Luke whined, seeming to regret his idea of our date.

"Like, who?" I cocked my brow. "Do you like Great Gatsby?"

Luke's eyes light up, nodding his head. "I love that movie."

I rolled my eyes, taking him along as we stopped at another section, our position sticking as he couldn't seem to keep his hands off of me.

"I wanted to know you breathed and moved in the same world with me.", "Gatsby looked at Daisy in a way that every young girl wanted to be looked at.", "I hope she'll be a fool-that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."

I glanced at Luke, his jaw tight as he was seemingly interested in the world of literature and it made my heart tighten.

"I love her and that's the beginning and end of everything." Luke read aloud, pulling back as he came to my side, my body aching from the loss of his touch. "What does that mean?"

I chuckled, biting my bottom lip. "Love is the answer to everything. It's always there, like a lingering thought."

Luke faced me, narrowing his eyes slightly at me. "You really are a hopeless romantic aren't you, Lo."

I blushed, shrugging as I tucked my dark hair behind my ears. "I rather not use the term hopeless. I don't think we are."

"You don't think we're what?" Luke crossed his arms, staring at me intently.

"Hopeless." I repeated, pursuing my lips as I didn't feel we needed further explanation. "We're sweet as can be, right?"

Luke grinned from ear to ear, cupping my cheeks as he kissed me, softly. A kiss that had my ears ringing and my head spinning. I felt like I was having my first kiss all over again.

"You two make a lovely couple." An older, shaky voice had me snapping out of my daze, glancing over to the elderly woman that leaned on a cane.

Luke placed his hand in the small of my back. Show-off. "Thank you."

She smiled as best she could, the wrinkles on her face making it hard and I wondered what she had been doing here. She barely seemed to be able to support herself.

"Don't take each other for granted." She hummed, her bright eyes seeming to tear up as she couldn't tare her eyes from Luke and I.

I furrowed my brows lightly, feeling my heart tighten for the woman. I smiled softly with a short nod, watching her walk down the small path, disappearing into the crowd.

"Well, that was kinda sad." Luke breathed out, glancing down at me.

I nodded, a frown playing on my lips. "Yeah, it was. I wonder what happened."

Luke draped an arm around my shoulder, his constant need to be touching me was more evident tonight.

I rolled my bottom lip into my mouth, concealing my smile. My mood changed dramatically anytime I was in the same space as him, the sadness, switching to happiness when he walked into any room.

"What?" He looked down at me, reading me like a book.

"You didn't say we weren't a couple." I shrugged.

Luke parted his lips, scratching the back of his neck. "Yeah, I, uh, I'm sorry. I didn't really know what to respond to that. I'm sorry."

I shook my head, placing a finger against his lips as he quieted. "It's okay, I don't care. Being with you is far from the worst thing."

Luke grinned, his hand coming to graze my jaw, holding me. "All this for someone who couldn't stand to be in the same room with me months ago."

"Who says I still can't?" I hummed, pressing a kiss to the corner of his mouth before going around him, just to be lifted off my feet and spun around, I swatted at his chest. "Luke! We're in public."

"What?" He cocked his head to the side, fake shock across his features.

I mocked him, rolling my eyes at the curly headed boy. "This was a pretty memorable first date, Hughes."

"My pleasure, ma'am." Luke saluted, shooting me a wink.

I never wanted this to end, I never wanted to lose him. My entire life, I searched for the feeling of love. I never imagined I'd find it in the captain of the ice hockey team.

me and fucking who