30

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱ i thought that i was dreaming when you said you loved me
FRANK OCEAN^

LORELEI

AN UNDERRATED struggle;being incredibly un-athletic with an athletic significant other. Luke was constantly working his body, from lifting weights to running miles to boost his speed.

Luke;a certified clinger. Which meant I was dragged along for half of these workouts. In my spare time, I began to start running, so I wasn't the reason we had to take ten breaks in the span of five minutes.

With Elvis Presley blasting his old tunes in my headphones, my hair shifting back and forth in its updo, Ann Arbor painting me a beautiful sunset, it was perfect running hour.

The student track was spacious, leaving me plenty of room to run as I finished another lap. I stumbled to catch my feet, hunching over with my hands pressing to my knees, catching my breath.

"Excuse me, ma'am?" I could hear the faint voice beside me as I paused my music, turning around the face the person.

"Oh, hello." I quipped, rolling my lips into my mouth to hide my grin.

Luke brushed a hand through his short curls, adorning the biggest grin I had ever seen. "So sorry to disturb your running. I just thought that you were the most beautiful girl I had ever seen."

"I'm flattered." I parted my lips, placing my hand over the chest. "But I have a boyfriend."

"Yeah, me." Luke gave up his act quicker than I had expected. His rough hands meeting my cheeks as he pulled me in, kissing me breathlessly.

I wrapped my fingers around his wrists as he pulled back, running his thumb beneath my under eye. "Stalking me now, Hughes?"

"You wish." Luke rolled his eyes, kissing me once more. "This is actually my running spot, you know?"

"You mean our?" I shoved at his shoulder. "Fine, let's race. Who ever wins, owns the rights."

Luke chuckled lightly, placing his water bottle down on the side of the track as he lined up beside me. "You're setting yourself up for disappointment, baby."

"Too bad!" I took off without warning, hearing him protest behind me.

As someone who didn't fall in the athletic department, I was bound to loose to a professional hockey player. But, did that stop me? Absolutely not.

Luke passed me within seconds, like it was easy for him to run without nearly passing out or feeling the need to fall on top of a soft surface. It was all so easy for him.

By the time I had made it back around to the start line, Luke leaned against the metal bleachers, taking a long sip of his water.

"I let you win." I panted, waving him off with my hand as I caught my breath.

"Mhm." Luke hummed, handing me his water as he watched me nearly fall apart. "You'll beat me someday."

I flipped him off, tucking the loose strands of my braid behind my ears. "You're so annoying."

I glanced down, seeing the water droplet on the back of my hand, my eyes finding their way to the sky as the clouds closed in. A sudden storm brewing.

"Is it raining?" Luke blinked, feeling the small droplets fall down on his skin. "You feel that?"

I rolled my bottom lip into my mouth, raising my brows towards him. "Scared of rain, Luke?"

Luke scoffed, the slight drizzle beginning to grow harder as he stood in front of me. Most people would be running to find cover in fear of getting soaked, but Luke and I, we were opposite.

Thunder began to rumble, causing me to lean into his chest slightly from the loud noise. With Luke, I felt untouchable, like no matter what happened, I was perfectly fine because I had him.

"Who's the scared one now?" Luke taunted, dragging him thumb along my bottom lip.

"I'm not scared." I attempted to plaster on my best brave face, feeling the ground below us shake from the intensity of the thunder. "As long as it's not lightning, right?"

Luke grinned, beaming down at me from our height difference. "Right."

"You know, this checks off one of the things on my bucket lists." I muttered, my hands going around his neck as his captured my lower back, keeping me pressed against him.

Luke cocked a brow at me, curiously. "Really? Care to share?"

"Well, it's tweaked a bit." I chuckled, wrapping his short curls around my fingertips. "Dancing in the rain."

Luke pulled away from me suddenly, capturing my hands in his as he spun me around until my back met his chest. He slowly swayed us, dipping his down to the crook of my neck.

"Better?" Luke pressed a kiss to my cold skin, sending sparks and shivers down my spine. I nodded, my throat dry as I couldn't form words.

I felt the sudden need to be pinched, in disbelief that this was real. He was too perfect for me. I knew he was.

With my head titled back against him, his lips pressing kissing to whatever skin he could find, our heartbeats interlinked at their fast pace, I felt myself grow weak in the knees.

"I love you." The words left my lips, handing in the air like a mistletoe. I squeezed my eyes shut.

Luke's body froze against mine, his breaths becoming shallow behind me.

Forcefully, I turned around to face him, gulping. "Sorry. I'm sorry. You don't have to say it back..."

His lips meeting mine had me shutting up, practically melting into me as I could feel his smile against my mouth.

"I love you." Luke pulled back, running his eyes over my face as the fear subsided in me. "I love you so much."

"I love you so much." I repeated, a small yelp leaving my swollen lips as he hoisted me, legs wrapping around his waist as he held me.

His hands felt rough against my cheeks, thumb sliding along my cheekbone. "Was that a good enough love confession for you?"

"I'll never forget it." I pressed a soft peck to his temple, forehead pressing to his own as I basked in this moment.

Lightning struck through the sky above us, his hold going tighter as we locked eyes.

"Maybe that's a sign we should go?" He chuckled, placing me down on my feet as he tossed his hoodie over my head, keeping me protected from the storm, even if I was already drenched, it made my heart skip a beat.

SO
IN
LOVE