22

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱ i've never known someone like you
tangled in love, stuck by you
BEABADOOBEE^

LORELEI

CONVINCING LUKE to do things was too easy. With one pout and puppy dog eye stare, he was following behind me like no other. After our rather emotional night a few days ago, he had still made me sneak in somewhere.

I was a rule follower, i'd been like that my whole life. Sure, call me a goody two shoes if you will. But, with Luke by my side I felt invincible.

"What the hell are we doing?" Luke muttered, his hand clutching mine as we crept around the backside of campus.

I bit my bottom lip to try and conceal my smile as I shrugged. "Well, you made me sneak into the arena so, I'm just returning the favor."

The library consisted of three floors and since I had been there all the time, I memorized the layout of it. Before I had left my tutor session, I left the far back right window open. I had also known for a fact, security didn't check them. I had dust particles on my fingers for proof.

"Hold on." Luke pulled my back against his chest as stared at the window that had been cracked open. "We're sneaking into the library? That's insane, Lorelei. Security is all over this place."

I spun around to face him, tugging him down by his sweatshirt strings as our faces were now inches apart. "What's the matter, Lukey? You scared?"

Luke cocked a brow at me, pulling back as he walked over to the window, stepping on the brick cobblestone as he opened it fully. He climbed in, holding his hand out for me as he helped me in.

I sighed with relief as I grabbed my phone out of my pocket, using it as a flashlight to guide us. "Just be quiet, okay?"

Luke nodded, taking small steps to prevent the squeaking of the floors. Michigan's buildings were old, making a thing like this, hard.

We walked up the second floor, where I dragged my fingers along the books, stopping when I found the exact one I wanted.

"Oh, God. What is that?" Luke glanced between the book and I.

"Gatsby." I said proudly, directing him to the reading nook placed by the large window that looked out to campus and more importantly;the sky.

Luke laid with his back against the post, pulling me between his legs as he flipped through the pages. "Why are certain things highlighted and bookmarked?"

"Read them. Out loud." I answered simply, resting into him as he cleared his throat.

"Okay." Luke hummed, running his fingers over the pages. "He looked at her the way all women want to be looked at."

I nodded slowly with a chuckle. "Keep reading, Luke."

"There are all kinds of love in this world, but never the same love twice." He read, pausing as he still didn't understand the concept. "He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God.", "But I always come back and in my heart I love her all the time." , "What was the use of doing great things if I could have a better time telling her what I was going to do?"

I turned my head to him, watching him close the book with his brows furrowed.

"I don't get it." Luke shook his head, brows pulled together in thought as he scanned my face, looking for an answer.

I chuckled, placing my hand over his which rested over my lower stomach. "They're just things that remind me of us."

Luke darted his tongue out to swipe across his lips, smiling down at me. "Yeah? Is that your love language, Lorelei?"

"Maybe." I hummed, my eyes darting to his lips as I leaned in.

My body halted halfway as I saw the flash of light from the corner of my eye, in-distinctively, I grabbed Luke's arm with panic.

"What?" Luke followed my gaze, the footsteps climbing up the stairs beginning to echo as they got closer. "Fuck. What do we do?"

I could feel my heart ringing in my ears, starting to regret my stupid decision of coming here this late. I hadn't gotten in trouble since the third grade, after I threw a tantrum about homework. And even that, wasn't anything close to the legal trouble I could get Luke and I in if we were caught.

Fortunately for us, I knew this place embarrassingly well. Like, I could tell you where very section was if I was blindfolded.

"The staircase goes both ways." I crawled off Luke, taking him down with me as we crept. "You're a hockey player, yeah? How fast can you run?"

"Pretty fucking fast." Luke muttered, the light flashing in and out of the isles near us. "You ready to run, baby?"

From the moment the words left his mouth, we were darting. I didn't have time to worry about tripping and falling as I dashed my way down the steps. Luke trailing closely behind me as we pushed open the library doors, making our way through the secluded side of campus.

Once we were a good distance away from the library, I bent over, hunched down with my palms resting on the tops of my knees. I panted like I had just ran a race and in my opinion, it wasn't far from it.

The adrenaline rush was still kicking, flowing through my veins as I caught my breath, a shaky laugh coming from my throat.

"Holy, Lorelei." Luke ran a hand through his hair, still clutching the Gatsby book tightly. At least he hadn't dropped it. 

"I'm sorry." I apologized, shaking my head.

Once the adrenaline began to ware off, I realized how bad I could have fucked us over. Luke more than myself, he could've lost his captaincy or worse, kicked off the team for trespassing.

"That was stupid." I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry, Luke."

"Hey." He stood before me, clutching my face in his hands. "Yeah, it was risky but that was the most fun I've had in a really long time."

I finally locked eyes with him as I smiled softly, holding his wrists. "Are we even now?"

"Very." Luke nodded with a hum. "No more doing things that can get us arrested. Deal?"

"Deal."

MOM & DAD