29

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱ our, our hearts a-thumpin and you
my brown eyed girl
VAN MORRISON^

LUKE

ONE OF the many things Lorelei hated;the beach. She hated the way the sand stuck to her skin, the loudness of the waves, she couldn't imagine sitting out for hours in the hot sun.

If she hated in the daytime, she had to at least appreciate it during the night. Right?

"Luke, seriously." Lorelei groaned from the passenger seat, practically sitting on the edge of her seat as she glanced around. "Where are we going?"

"We're almost there, Lo." I cooed, rubbing her shoulder as I drove down the long road.

I pulled into the small lot, Lorelei cocking a brow at me as I got out without a word, shoving my keys into my pocket as I opened her door, plastering a smile on my lips.

"You planning to kill me, Hughes?" Lorelei narrowed her dark eyes at me, following suit behind me as I dragged her along.

"Close your eyes." I hummed, pulling her in front of me as I covered her eyes with my hands, taking complete control as I guided us onto the sand.

Lorelei kept her fingers around my wrists, completely vulnerable as she used me to guide her own steps.

I spun her around until she met my chest, my hands dropping to my sides as Lorelei kept her eyes squeezed shut, almost as if she was scared.

"Open." I muttered into the air between us.

She slowly peeled her eyes open, running her eyes over my face as  turned over her shoulder. Her face dulled, whipping her head to me as she looked down at her feet.

"Luke." Lorelei spat. "You know how much I hate the beach."

"Oh, I know." I pressed my thumbs into her shoulder blades, forcing her gaze to meet mine. "But, you know, I've been doing some research."

Lorelei crossed her arms over her chest, an annoyed expression plastered on her features. "Have you? On what?"

"Well, you're a big romance girl." I huffed, taking off my shoes as I tossed them into the sand beside me. "So, I've seen my fair share of romance movies. We both know I can barely sit still and read."

Lorelei chuckled lightly, now staring at me with utter amusement.

"Almost every romance movie has a beach scene." My sweater was next to join my shoes.

"Sorry, do you think our whole love story is a rom-com?" Lorelei blinked, running her eyes down my body as I was just now in shorts.

I shrugged, running a hand down my chin.  "Who says it's not?"

"Right." Lorelei rolled her bottom lip between her teeth, tugging slightly. "So, Luke, what's your point here?"

"It's a beach, Lorelei." I gestured towards my half-naked body. "What do you think we do?"

Lorelei glanced towards the water, then back at me, shaking her head rapidly. "No, no. Absolutely not. Luke."

"Don't be stubborn." I pouted, tugging at the ends of her sweater lightly. "Join me for a swim, yeah?"

Lorelei had an easy look on her face, trying her hardest to put her foot down. "Have you seen Jaws? The shark literally eats the fucking teenagers. It's dark! It's feeding hour!"

"Lorelei, baby, we're in Michigan." I said in a duh-tone. "No shark is gonna eat you."

"Fine." Lorelei groaned, slipping her sweater off her head, leaving her in a bralette. Her shoes were next to mine, leaving on her boy-shorts as she froze. "Now what?"

I engulfed her body into my arms, holding her flush against me as I darted towards the water. Lorelei dug her nails into my biceps, looking around like her head was on a swivel.

"Wait!" She yelped. "Can't we just, like, dip our toes in first?"

"Sorry, baby." I cocked my head  up to meet her eyes. "Most movies, you just get thrown in."

Before she could protest, I threw her body into the water, diving into the small waves myself as the chilling temperatures spread across me in goosebumps.

I resurfaced, Lorelei running a hand over the top of her head, smoothing out her dark hair.

"I could drown you right now." Lorelei breathed, her jaw clenching as she stared at me harshly.

"You wouldn't." I cocked my head to the side in a teasing manner. "You'd miss me too much."

Lorelei fought a smile as she stared at me, big brown eyes capturing everything I've ever wanted. Something about the way she looked, made my stomach flip upside down.

I kicked my leg as I stayed afloat, the sudden movement making her startled, a small gasp leaving her lips as she practically suctioned herself to me.

I tried to hold my laughter in, her arms wrapping around my neck as her legs wrapped around my waist, barely any part of her body floating freely.

"Lo." I wheezed, holding the small of her back. Her face fell, swatting me in my chest. "I swear, I didn't mean to scare you."

"You jerk." Lorelei let out a breath of relief, her forehead falling to mine.

She laced her fingers with the hair drifting down the nape of my neck, the slight tugging sensation flowing through my body.

"Feel like you're in a movie yet?" I asked, rubbing the pad of my thumb along her sharp jawline.

Lorelei ran her fingers gently down my back, her hand splashing in the water, droplets coating my chest as she glided her fingers along my collarbones.

"Being with you, is my rom-com, Luke." Lorelei beamed, a smile from ear to ear that brought a faint blush to my cheeks.

I never had a love quite like this. In fact, I don't think I ever had a love like this. I don't think I ever will again.

"Are you happy we got partnered up?" I asked, blurting out the question.

Lorelei placed her wrinkled fingers over the backside of my hand that rested on her cheek. "So, so happy. Who knew I could actually have a crush on Luke Hughes?"

"It's mutual, baby." I hummed, pressing a gentle kiss to the front of her throat.

i need a luke.