Chapter 4: assumptions

Your head was ringing when you finally opened your eyes. You woke up surrounded by 2 doctors. You also noticed someone else.

"Noya?" You muttered slowly trying to sit yourself up.

"Take it easy, yes it's me," he replied helping you sit up.

"What are you doing here what happened?" You questioned confused in how he got here, "How long was I out for?"

"It's been 2 days," Noya awnsered you.

"Yes it seems the lack of sleep and nutrition seemed to catch up to you, you also received news that seemed to trigger this sudden reaction from your body," the doctor explained, "It's important that you rest lieutenant."

"I see," you mumbled still in shock about your mother.

"Her funeral is in 2 weeks, I need you to be well rested and have eaten properly," Noya said to you.

"Yeah I will," you say.

You try to remember what happened to you before you fainted and that's when you remembered.

"What happened to that prisoner Jet?"

"He was put in the punishment cell," Noya says casually.

"Why?" You ask unsure what he did to deserve to be there.

"He got out of line but don't worry I made sure to teach him a good lesson," Noya chuckled.

Great. That means he tortured him. A horrible pit of guilt formed in your stomach. You hated when people got tortured it made you sick.

You wanted to see him to make sure he didn't suffer to death, you knew your brother was reckless and enjoyed other people suffering. It was the one thing you hated about him even your other brother Kai except Kai had more remorse.

"I think I'm fine to walk," you say getting down from the medical bed to get some air.

"Okay when you're done I will be in the office I will update you on the progress of the prison before I leave tonight," Noya says walking the opposite way from you.

"Got it."

You ended up finding yourself in the punishment cells. It was dark and cold in there, very cold.

You grabbed a lamp with you as you entered.

There he was all chained up. He was bruised everywhere. Blood dripping from his nose showed that Noya gave him a recent beating.

"Oh my-" you began to speak.

"You," he says cutting you off, "Are you here to hurt me too?"

"Don't be ridiculous," you say opening the cell to view his wounds more clearly.

You lit some fire in your hands since it was too dark making him flinch.

"Relax I won't hurt you," you say softly.

"How do I know you won't," he says shivering from the coldness of the cell.

You placed your hands on his bruised face. He was hesitant at first but he had no choice but to let you.

You warmed up his cheeks slightly causing shivering to slow down a bit.

You ended up warming him up controlling the temperature of his body.

"Thank you," he mumbled still acknowledging you're still a fire nation solider.

You smile before letting go. You haven't smiled in ages. It felt rewarding.

"As soon as the general leaves I will get you the medical care you need just hold on for now," you say before shutting that gate and leaving.

You head to your room to shower and freshen up in your uniform. You had food waiting for you since your nutrition levels were low.

After catching up with Noya you took him to the exit.

"Make sure you eat Y/n," Noya says before getting ready to leave.

"Yeah."

"See you soon."

You watch him leave with your soldiers beside you.

"Get that prisoner from the punishment cell to the medical facility I think he's been punished enough," you order your soldiers next to you as soon as Noya was gone.

After an hour you decided to go see how Jet was doing. You walked in on him flat on the bed looking up at the ceiling.

"He's doing good he's just a little bruised up but he will be fine," the doctors informed you.

"The quicker he gets better, the quicker he can go back to his role here," you say hoping that would speed up the process with no suspicions.

"Of course," the doctor agrees.

The doctor leaves the room to do his other duties within the prison. Leaving you alone with Jet.

"Why you doing this?" He asks still staring at the ceiling.

"Doing what?"

"Helping me," he says, "What will you get out of this?"

"Nothing."

"You don't have to help me but you still do. What will a fire nation solider like you get from helping someone like me."

"I don't know," you reply unsure what to say, "Do I need an excuse to help someone who needs my assistance?"

There was a moment of silence between the two of you. None of you knew what to say.

"By the way why were you there when I fainted?" You asked trying to break the awkwardness in the atmosphere.

"Curiosity I guess, I don't know myself."

"What did you hear?"

"Nothing all I saw was you fall," Jet replied, "Want to tell me why?"

"Just received sad news that's all."

"What's sad for a fire bender," Jet scoffed.

"My mother who was in a coma for the last 6 years just died," you awnsered irritated by his non stop assumptions about you, "Is that not sad enough for you?"

You left the room feeling annoyed and angry. You haven't processed yet that your mother was no longer here, so Jet getting on your nerves after helping him wasn't helping you grieve at all.

Jet was going to say something back but didn't. He did not expect you to say something like that.

He felt guilty.

He himself knows the feeling of loss.

______________________________

Filler chapter new one tomorrow <3
Pls VOTE love uu x