Chapter 15: Phone Calls

? POV:

"Hello?"
"..."
"Please, pick up the phone. You haven't been answering my calls for weeks now."
"..."
"Where are you, did you get a new phone number?"
"..."
"Cmon, you're scaring me now.. just pick up! Not hard, right?"
"..."
"Are you even there?"
"..."
"Please, you were my best friend, where have you gone? Do you hate me because I left you? I can come back, I swear!"
"..."

"Ice Cube.. cmon please come back."

Book POV:

She's not picking up my calls.. what happened to her? She wouldn't just leave me, of course she wouldn't! We've been best friends for a long time! Why do I wanna go back now.. I wanna see if she's okay. Is she okay? But I can leave Yoyleland! I'm not even halfway done yet! I have to finish my research! But aren't friends more important.. but if I do this they'd be proud of me! Oh dear.. Ice Cube just please pick up this call!

"Ice Cube! Cmon man! Don't leave hanging.. please."
"..."
"Don't hold a grudge, I thought I told you to not do that!"
"..."
"Cmon Book, why would she even be holding a grudge against me?"
"..."
"If you pick up I'll never leave to research the world."
"..."
"Ice Cube.."
"..."
"What happened to our friendship..?"
"..."
"Was it all a waste..?"

I ended the phone call, that's 48 missed calls now. I miss my friend, my best friend! Why isn't she picking up my calls? There's so many reasons and what ifs to that one simple question. I wanna go back.. but I just can't. This means so much to me, my friends know that! But I need to check on Ice Cube! What happened..? I need to ask Taco, she'll be honest with me.

"Taco, Taco, Taco pick up pick up pick up!"
"..."
"She might be busy! Let her take the time she needs."
"..."
"But is she busy?"
"..."
"Pick up cmon!"
"..."
"Don't leave me hanging like Ice Cube did."
"..."
"Maybe they both are."
"..."
"I'll just call her again! It's fine."

I called her again, but I received no answer. Strange, Taco was normally one of the most responsible objects I knew. I sighed, I might have to abandon this research for a little bit to head back to check on Ice Cube and Taco. They've never done this before, they always pick up the phone and talk to me and ask me how I'm going. We'd have extremely long conversations that would distract me when I was bored, it was great. I sat and sighed in defeat, maybe they were doing something better than calling a friend who was miles away in a different part of the world. Perhaps they were sleeping, I looked at the numbers displayed on my phone. It read 1:24am.

"Oh, I gotta get to bed. But, one more thing."

I looked at all my calls and scrolled through all of the different times I called both Ice Cube and Taco. It was around midnight when I called them, maybe that was why they weren't answering. I looked at the time I sent my messages as well, and like the calls they all were close to midnight as well. Maybe I should make sometime to chat with them, there's just so many buildings in Yoylecity it's hard to catch a break! It's just noting, observing and writing 24/7. I yawned, covering my mouth with my arm. Maybe I'm overworking myself.. I cant be! I don't feel tired at all.. I think so at least. I placed my phone on the bed side table next to me. I was sleeping in one of the hotels, Live Hotel I think it was? I was careful to make sure Evil Leafy wasn't lurking in there anymore and it appears that she's disappeared from the hotel. The rooms were decent, not sure why they weren't all the same though, 6/10 I'd rate it. Another yawn reminded me I should go to sleep now, I checked the time that read 1:32am. Shoot. Maybe I should stop daydreaming in my own head, but at the same time it's hard not to. As I finally got comfy in the bed and pulled the blanket up above my arms I could feel my eyes already closing by themselves. I hope Ice Cube and Taco are okay.. goodnight.