Part 19: The Parents

I wake up early, the sun is bright this morning, it's about 7:40 am. I'm still mad from last night so I decide to go for a run. Grabbing some spare clothes from the spare room, I throw them on. Getting downstairs quietly, Shark regreets me so I decide to put his harness on and bring him with me.
I begin running and shark seems happy to run beside me. We run for about 40 minutes before I spot some paparazzi, great last night and now this. I wave in their direction to let them know I've seen them. And I take this as a sign to turn. Another 40 minutes back to billies house and it's now around 9:30, when I get back in Billie is in the kitchen on the phone. I unclip Shark as I hear "Finneas I don't know, I woke up and they're both not here". I walk into the kitchen and she breathes a sigh of relief. "She just walked in I'll see you later love you" she says as she hangs up.

"Where have you been, I was worried about you" she says coming to hug me and I step back

"I took Shark for a walk" I state grabbing some water

"I'm sorry last night I should've told her to wait" she tried to explain

"Listen Billie you told me you were sorry yesterday and that you would stop hanging out with her and then you instantly went back on your word and chose her over me"I say leaning against the counter

"I know I fucked up, she told me last night that she didn't want to ruin our relationship, she was sorry. I told her I couldn't see her out of respect for you" she said "we don't have to go to my parents today, I can understand if you don't want to"

"Billie I'm not cancelling on your parents 2 hours before lunch with them, I'm going to home and get ready and we will talk about it tonight" I say

"Yeah ok" she stutters "pick you up in an hour?"

I agree and drive the short trip home. Today is going to be fun. Getting in I stand in my wardrobe, I wanna impress billies parents despite the state of our relationship I really want them to like me. I decide to put on cream trousers, a white tshirt and an oversize shirt.

Satisfied with my look, I wait around for Billie

Satisfied with my look, I wait around for Billie. 10 minutes later she texts me I'm here and I go out to her car, placing a pair of sunglasses on.

"You look nice" she says

"Thank you, I want your parents to like me" I say "As for us, I'll forget about yesterday for a few hours for your parents"

"Don't be nervous and yeah sure" she says cautiously.

The ride to theirs is short, it's really close to Billies house, when we get in Billie walks in and shouts hello. Finneas and Claudia walk round first, it nice to have friendly faces. They both hug us but Finneas keeps me in a hug to whisper "Billie told me what happened this morning, I hope you're ok"

"I am thank you just nervous for this" I lie

Billie then hugs her mum and dad tightly. "Mom this is Y/N, my wonderful girlfriend"

"It's really nice to meet you both" I say extending my hand out for a handshake which Billies dad takes but her mum pulls me in for a hug.

"Don't be nervous darling, we've heard great things. My name is Maggie and this is Patrick" Maggie smiles. "Dinner will be ready in a minute, Finneas set the table will you, Billie you can show Y/N around"

Billie reaches for my hand which I accept and she gives me a quick tour of her family home, it's really cute, her mum has excellent taste. Billie shows me to her bedroom which encapsulates her wwafawdwg era. I let out a laugh.

"What?" She says confused

"You are so emo" I say

She lightly smacks my arm "and what"

We heard Maggie call us for dinner and we all sit begging to eat. She asks both Finneas and Billie about the studio and Claudia about her work before turning to me.

"So Y/N tell me about yourself" she asks cheerfully

"Well I'm from a little town outside of London and I'm about to turn 22 in a month. I moved to LA 2 years ago because I'm a guitarist in a band called Blue Moon, we just won our first Grammy and we're about to release our first album" I say

"That's impressive y/n" Patrick says, in which I return a thank you "Billie told us about you protecting her from that guy and the charges, thank you for protecting her, you're a good kid" he adds

"Thank you" I say again "I will always protect her"

After a delicious dinner, I offered Maggie to wash up which she gratefully accepted. I wash and Billie drys as we get through the dishes. Her phone rings, it's her management so she excuses herself. Maggie comes back in and takes over Billies role.

"I really like you Y/N, you're a lot better than the guys she's brought round here before" she jokes

"I do try" I laugh "I really do love her"

"I see it, in the way you look at eachother I'm happy for you too" she says "after we finish this I'll show you some embarrassing photos"

"I'd rather you not" Billie says coming back in

"Everything ok?" I ask

"Yeah just some paparazzi photos from last night, nothing I can't handle" she says brushing it off.

When all the washing up is dry, we spend another few hours with her family playing games and looking at embarrassing photos of Billie and Finneas. When then sun begins to set, Billie yawns and decides it's time to get home. We say our goodbyes and I let her parents know how grateful I am for the lunch and their kindness.

The ride home from her parents is silent, we go back to our state of unease from before the lunch. Suddenly her phone rings through the Apple CarPlay: Quen lights up the screen. Billie answers.

"Hey Quen I'm with Y/N what's up" she says

"Billie it's bad, Odessa has been here all night and she's drunk. She's a mess I need you to come help me please I'll do anything" she sounds worried

"I don't know Quen, I told her I couldn't see her anymore" Billie stutters,looking at me for any sign of approval but I just look away choosing to stare out the window.

"Billie I could really use your help" Quen pleads

"I'll be there in 20"

"Thank you so much Bils, tell y/n I said sorry for stealing you" she says, at least one person is thinking on me. They exchange goodbyes.

"Stop the car now" I say calmly and bluntly

"What no I'm taking you home" she says

"Billie stop the car" I say but she ignores me so I turn my body to her. "Stop the fucking car Billie" I raise my voice causing her to pull over and look at me with fear in her eyes. "We have just spent the past 24hr, even past few days talking about you and this girl and where your loyalties lie and you are going to go there now, after spending a day with your parents when we are supposed to be talking, you can fuck off" I say in the heat of the moment.

"I'm not doing it for her Y/N, I'm doing it for Quen." She matches my tone "You heard her it's bad and I don't want her to be alone. I care about you so much and I love you. Let me sort this out and then I will come home to you and we can talk" she gradually gets calmer

Still full of anger I text Emma and ask what's she's doing

Y/N🎸
Hey Emma what you up to?
Wanna go out?
8:47pm

Emma✍️
Mia's at mine and Graysons,
It's Saturday we'd love to go out duh!
Why don't you come over and
We can go to that new club
8:48 pm

Y/N
Be there soon x
8:48 pm

"Can you drop me off at Graysons" I say to Billie