Chapter 469

I try not to laugh, scanning his status to see he's level 219 and has one of those rare team buff skills that increases everyone's strength stat by 25% in a small radius for a limited amount of time.

It's a great skill to have for helping newbies learn to fight, and beneficial to hunting squads that farm dungeons, but it's nothing special. However, he's very charismatic and confident. He said he had a business proposition for me when I met him and his girlfriends in line earlier without a drop of fear, so I decided to let him pique my interest.

I raise an eyebrow and reply.

"My competition... huh? Explain."

Despite his cheerful attitude and the charismatic stance he holds, with women standing behind him holding his arms and back, green mist oozes from his body, letting my lie detector reading tell me that he's 100% serious about what he just said.

The man speaks up again.

"That's right. I come from Sector 1. I used to be the manager and head promoter of a small mercenary pub in the entertainment district of one of the settlements a few hundred kilometers away from Valor City."

I perk up at the sound of this but still don't know exactly what he means by him being my number one competition.

He continues before I get the chance to ask.

"I see you're going to have a guild hall here to buy and sell goods from the nearby dungeons, right?"

I nod.

"That's right. Stable prices will be placed on materials from the dungeons necessary for my craftsmen to conduct trade with other sectors and regions in bulk quantities."

He nods with his bright white smile still plastered across his face.

"Exactly what I thought... So, think about this. What will you do with the items that are useless for the bulk order crafts you need? Who will you be hiring to form training parties that help newbies level up? Where can people go to if they want to buy and sell their goods outside the guild run by the government of this city? Something like a mercenary bar, or a guild hall ran buy the locals. Imagine a place where anyone can post a quest and name their price, and anyone strong enough to carry it out first can collect the bounty."

He smiles even wider as I think about his words.

This man has a pretty solid point. While having my guild hall be the sole place for hunters to buy and sell goods from the dungeons would be very profitable and keep the supply and demand prices in my control entirely, it could lead to problems down the line.

Villagers having the option to trade amongst themselves, even buy and sell the same items in another place, is a good way to make the people feel less smothered by my all-powerful hand.

Even if they are using my coins, and living in a society that I'm building, people need the illusion of choice.

Just like the Association allows private guilds to function in society while their organization still reigns supreme.

I nod and reply.

"Fine by me, but while you're functioning in my city, you will still have to pay a tax to the city from every quest reward. We will iron out the exact percentages and details with every new business in further town meetings. I have no problem with private guilds and mercenary forces, I fully support them, but you all still must pledge your loyalty to me as this city's leader if you wish to stay and do business. No matters of deceptions or lies will ever be tolerated."

Without any hesitation at all, the man bows in place and the five women behind him bow their heads as well.

"Of course, with you as our leader, I see my dreams of becoming the greatest mercenary guild owner coming true!"