Part 21

Awakening I got up right away and hit the shower. I went to the kits and found 2 of them sitting at the table. They weren't quite asleep but they weren't awake either. I got a drawn out "hello papa" and smiled. "They will be in and out of it for a day but they did well". One of the girls tried to take a drink and wore most of it. This I can do so I got a cloth and wiped her face and she smiled and looked at me. That's when I looked at her and saw her eyes. She no longer had the vertical slit as an iris, she had human eyes. I looked at the other at the table and saw the same.

"Vickey could you come here please". She appeared and saw the concern on our faces "Vickie talk to the nanobots and see if they did this?" She looked away for a second "they did sir, since they live here now this design makes more sense. They can still see the same but it's not as bright here so they modeled them after your eyes". "So it was an upgrade". I looked at Kim and she waved me off "I know they won't hurt them so I'm good". I nodded at that. We checked the others and sure enough they had my eyes, creepy. Since we woke them the kits wanted food and it was like watching hungover frat boys trying to walk. We got them fed and back to bed so I made my leave.

I sent a message to the twins to come to my office. They came in all smiles "how is your project going?" Emma jumped in "I think you will like it". She produced a holodisk and what I saw was spectacular. It was 5 stories with an open center design with a huge tree in the middle. Everywhere you looked there were green spaces for people to relax and talk. "This is amazing, you put a lot of work into this and it shows. How many people will it hold?" Ryan took this one "just a little over 1000 people". I smiled huge "when will it be done". They both looked at me in shock. I giggled "talk to Vicky and get it built and then we will start filling it". They both smiled "we could start in a few days, keep track of skills and trades. I'm hoping to get a few teachers and such".

They looked at one another then back to me "we know a teacher that's living in her minivan with her kids". My turn to smile "how fast can you locate her?" They shrugged "do you remember the make and model of vehicle". Ryan jumped in "it was a Ford Astro and it was gray" I nodded "well that's a start. Oh the hell with it let's go for a drive". They jumped up and followed me.

We took the drop ship with the suv, there was enough room for the van. In the suv we went to every spot they knew of. Second to last we found her.
Her name was Penny and she recognized the twins right away. Mom eyed me like a predator. "Tell me your story and let me help you". That's when it all came out. She was a sub teacher and couldn't get a position that could accommodate her kids. Then the money ran out, she still gets the odd day and that's how they have been surviving.

"Let me offer you a job with free housing and childcare plus a no lot more". She scowled at me "are you serious". The twins answered for me "trust us he is serious". I could see the gears turning in her head "what the hell my day couldn't get any worse". I smiled "does this thing drive". She nodded "yes but I'm almost out of gas".
"That's ok it's not far".

One of the twins got in with her and we found a dark spot. I pulled onboard and got out and looked. I could see the face on Penny and she was spooked. I walked up to the window "that's a ship isn't it?"

"Yup" she looked at me
"are you a" she trailed off. I laughed "I'm human not an alien. Just get loaded and I will explain" she nodded and drove forward as I walked and laughed.
They exited and went forward to the seats and got comfortable. I let Vicky take over flying and went to them. "I promise your life will only get better. Are you hungry or thirsty". The little girl perked up "do you have chocolate milk?"
"I sure do" I looked at the boy "would you like one as well". He nodded so I got 2 glasses with curly straws. "What are your names?" I asked as I passed them their drink. "Faith" chirped the girl "Jade" said the boy. "Faith is 3 and Jade is 4 so it's tough finding daycare".