August 25th Part Two

Hello there everyone! :3 Surprise!!! I completed a chapter after uhh...a couple of years, sorry about that. I suddenly wanted to add to the chapters after fixing storage on my phone and found out after pasting everything into organized Google Docs, I have over 20 pages of ideas for various episode alterations and such. Honestly, I relistened my whole story and I out loud wondered how dare I stop it there, like I KNOW there's more. Truthfully this chapter was a fourth done back in 2021 but revisiting the entire fic helped me hear so many errors and lack of description/intrigue in some sections so I might edit some previous parts later on too. Don't worry, the story in the chapters before won't be changed that much.

Also just know, I never lost interest in this fanfic, rather my mind wanted to try other creative mediums like animatics and Multi-Animator-Projects (MAPs) for other series. I won't promise when another chapter could come out but be aware there are plans for this fanfic till the end of Darling in the FranXX, maybe a little more beyond the timeline too.

As always, I don't own anything from either series. Enjoy this long overdue chapter! (I cut this in half again since it left really long for Wattpad viewers)

Underlined Italics are Hiro's thoughts

Chapter 8 Your Thorn, My Badge Part Two

August 25th

Briefing Room

"Zero Two is going to remain here for a while. Papa gave her permission," reported Nana as she crossed her arms.

With that in mind, Ichigo questions, "Does that mean Hiro's an official parasite now?"

"That's still under consideration, but I'm assuming it'll happen." On that note, the blue-haired hung her head low as she quietly approached the exit, contemplating whether she should rejoice or not. Normally the possibility of Hiro being promoted would relieve her but unfortunately, with a certain horned pistil as his partner, he may not have his position for long.

As the door slid open, Nana dismissed her with a reminder, "Ichigo. Make Zero Two feel at home." After taking a few steps forward, the door closed behind them, leaving the Delphinium pair alone in the dark ivory corridor.

"She wasn't kidding?" wondered Goro.

"No...she really is staying here." sighed Ichigo.

"Oh..." Together, the two silently trekked back to the elevator, setting the destination to Mistilteinn.

Minutes later when the Inner City illuminated the room, Goro asked, "What do you think?"

"About what?" wondered Ichigo.

"How Hiro was acting today."

Immediately the first thing that came to her mind was his joyous expression, "Well, it's been a long time since I saw him smile so much."

"Yeah. But what if he was forcing himself to be all cheery?" He placed a hand on his hip while looking upon the gilded city. "Maybe he was just mimicking Kirito the entire time."

"Did he say that?" asked Ichigo.

"Nah. You know he wouldn't tell us straight up." Goro shook his head and turned to face his partner. "Look, you could talk to him-"

"Goro," Ichigo cuts him off as the elevator illuminates with natural light, revealing the dense forest with several bushes lined along the moat. The elevator set off a ding sound, alerting their arrival at the Admin building. "Worrying about Hiro is fine, but we've also got ourselves to worry about."

"What's that supposed to mean?" wondered Goro.

Once the doors slid open, Ichigo began walking out, "The upcoming battle will be fiercer than any we've experienced." She halts to look back at him, "You're my partner. If you're not focused, I can't do my best, either."