Putting the Pain in Painting

Whenever I tell someone I like painting or drawing, they always expect me to have mastered it.

My friends growing up have always been artistic, and movies always told me that to be cool, I should be an artist. Whether it's singing, painting, or dance, there's gotta be something that makes me different.

I'm naturally more STEM-inclined, so this was a huge challenge for me growing up. I couldn't draw, paint, or sing the way other people could do so easily. I worked and worked at it, but still never really got anywhere. I was so jealous of the people who could recreate what they were thinking about in real life. For a long time, it was an insecurity of mine.

Singing, dancing, and drawing became a source of stress since I couldn't convey emotions through any of these mediums.

What made me stop?

I rewatched movies where I idolized the main character with my family, and they pointed out this theme. You aren't considered special unless you are recognized by others as such. In an attempt to get rid of the stigma around the arts and those who pursue them, they ended up putting down those who didn't have a natural talent for them. At this, my perspective shifted. I felt like I was seeing clearly for the first time in a while.

Since then, I've started to enjoy dancing, singing, and painting, since there was no longer this pressure that I had to be extraordinary at it. I paint because I like the colors, I dance because it's fun, and I sing to enjoy my favorite songs on a deeper level.

Many times in family/kids media, in an attempt to encourage acceptance of the importance of other groups, they walk a fine line in making things for the family to enjoy. Adults have context. Children do not. An adult who watches a movie forms a different opinion than a child who doesn't have the experience an adult has with the world.

Of course, we could abandon politics and changing minds through family and kids movies. Many older family movies, specifically older animated Disney, persevere to the modern age. Those "mindless" movies are just plot and the most fun to watch (in my opinion). I wouldn't have to think about the politics of the time during the making of the film Matilda or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I'm not saying to stop putting controversial things into movies. Nope, not at all. I just ask that we stop targeting children who do not understand the issue at hand and make it a fun movie for them to enjoy years down the line. Make an interesting plot with an interesting character design! Focus on making a story instead of making a message. Casual representation is the way to go By any means, include those touchy topics in PG-13 and higher-rated movies. It can add depth to the stories. Of course, I would say to prioritize the story over the social messaging, but it's less strange to see in these higher-rated movies.

Of course, I don't think I can change a thing by myself. All I have are my experiences and opinions. It takes more than that to bring improvement.

The Ramblings of a Confused FishOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara