Strangers You'll Never See Again

Character descriptions because I need to practice.

The boy rocked back and forth on his heels, sitting down, and standing back up again. He ran his hands through his hair, then checked a mirror to make sure he didn't mess his hair up too much. He walked around, staring at all the different people going about their business. Everyone was walking around with someone else, and he stuck out like a sore thumb. He knew it. A man seemed to feel bad for him, and he walked up to a stand, bought a pretzel, and made conversation. This man was wearing a waiter's uniform, apparently on break. The two talked for a while, the boy's unease getting less and less noticeable as they continued. The man walked away, back to the most expensive restaurant in the complex. The boy waved, no longer looking like he just saw someone throw up. He put on some headphones and retreated to a wooden bench. Soon a man, not much older than him, tapped on his shoulder and presented him with a small gift bag. He looked up, elated. When he jumped up to hug him, they both laughed. With a fist bump, they walked away, and another woman sat down at the fountain. She looked exhausted. Her posture was slumped, contrasting with the beautiful clothes she was wearing. Checking her watch, she pushed herself into a restaurant.

Her eyes were perpetually tired, but always alert. Upon first glance, she looked completely secure. She looked strong, like a leader. Her eyes were relaxed, taking in her surroundings. But if you looked a bit closer, you could feel a faint sense of uncertainty in her ever-roaming eyes, twitching hands, and frequent head swiveling. She sat down and stared at the glass in her hand, swirling the brown liquid inside. Her leg bounced as she looked off into the distance, lost in thought. Over the next couple of minutes, she sat at her table in silence, waiting for another person who would never arrive. Her face dropped every time she looked at her simple leather watch. Eventually, a little ding sounded from her phone. Her head snapped to her jacket as she yanked her phone out. Checking her phone, her face twisted into that of disbelief and annoyance. She scoffed and asked for a waiter. The waiter from earlier cautiously walked over, and her face switched to a smile in an instant. Not a soul could have imagined her anger just a few moments before. After whispering something in his ear, she handed him the money for her drink and a note. She got up, collected her jacket, and left.

Judgemental eyes follow a man who walks severely underdressed for the fancy establishment he is in. He could not have been less noticeable among the chandeliers and candlesticks. His eyes are wild and urgent. He stumbles around and asks a random waiter a question. At his question, the waiter gives a disgusted look and hands him the note. Alarm shoots across the mystery man's features as he briskly walks out, leaving other customers wondering what they had just witnessed. The waiter escaped to the kitchen, the only person there who knew all.