Part 18

"Guess who followed me on Instagram" I ask Paige as I'm braiding her hair for her game against NC state. "Who?" "Kate Martin" I smile. "No way why?" I shrug as if she could see me. "I've been following her ever since the season started she's so cute" Paige tilts her head up "cute?" She asks.

"She is I don't know something about her just you know" i laugh "she follows me too let's not get too ahead of ourselves" Nika says bursting my bubble. "Hater" I mumble making them laugh.

"When do we play Iowa?" Nika asks. "I'm not sure uh maybe December?" Paige answers. "Best believe I'll be introducing myself" I say. "To the opps is crazy" kk says making me laugh. "Exactly" Paige agrees.

"On the court, but off the court she's fair game" I defend "okay that's enough of Kate Martin talk for you" Paige chuckles "Paige feels threatened" Azzi laughs.

"Do you?" "Of course not" Paige says cockily "whatever" Azzi giggles. "Pass me the hair tie" I tell Paige and she hands me the black rubber band to hold one of her braids in place before starting on the next.

"So how are we feeling about NC state?" I ask Paige "mmm a little nervous their plays look good" I hum at her response "they were kinda off last season but they've gotten good so I'm a teeny tiny bit nervous" "but you got this obvi, you're the best player out there babe and you got the best team" I tell her lowering my voice.

"Come again?" She laughs "shut it" I laugh "i should be getting paid for this" I tell her as my arms were on the verge of snapping "you are getting paid" she laughs "right that's so exciting I get paid to watch you play" "wait so after college would you still want to work in women's basketball or would you change" kk asks.

"Well I lowkey thought I would go for soccer but I don't know women's basketball seems like the goal now which I'm praying could be a possibility for me" "you'll get there for sure you're the best out there" Paige reassures which makes me grin.

"She don't gas me up like that" kk says making us laugh "I do it all the time" "girl let's be so for real right now" she says seriously "okay but I do it during interviews and you know I mean it" Paige tells kk making her go quiet.

—————

"First away game how we feeling?" I ask Ashlynn "I'm feeling great a little nervous no home court advantage here but we'll obviously give it our best" she says enthusiastically into the mic while finishing up her hair.

"What's the playlist warm up?" I ask "some Chris Stapleton, Luke combs, Morgan wallen, Luke Bryan" she says listing off her artists. "My kinda girl... country for the win" I smile as country music was something we both bonded over.

"Would you like to give us a little tease from you and Luke Bryan's hit song?" I ask referring to Ashlynn's favorite song. She laughs "cmon ash give us something" Ayanna says hyping her up I quickly turn the camera to her and turn it back as Ashlynn starts singing a little verse of the song making us laugh.

"You better put the song over it Maddie" she says pointing to me making me laugh I simply nod. "Ugh ash you're too cute" I say stopping my camera to get Ayanna mic'd up.

"Where is Maddie?!" I hear coach yell making me raise my eyebrows. "Coach is looking for you" Jana tells me "why?" "Uh I don't know he just told me to call you" she shrugs "is he mad?" "Uhm stressed yes mad no but patience is small so run" she laughs I nod and walk over to Geno who was outside the locker room.

"Hi? You called?" I ask "yeah I need you down on the court" he tells me I nod "let me just go get my stuff since the game is going to start soon I don't want to run back up to get it" he nods "I'll wait here" I chuckle awkwardly and go back inside.

Immediately I'm greeted by Nika and Paige "what'd he tell you?" Nika speaks up. I walk over and start packing up my stuff. "Nothing just he needs me down on the court" I shrug "that's weird" Paige says I nod in agreement a little nervous.

—————

"Maddie this is coach Cruz she's the head coach for the NC girls soccer team" Geno says "hi I'm Madeline Rodriguez nice to meet you" I smile stretching over my hand. "Hi I'm Jamie Cruz nice to meet you" she smiles. "Okay I'll let you two talk I have to go get the girls" Geno says before leaving me and coach Cruz.

"So how are you feeling about the game" she asks me taking a seat on the nearest chair. "I'm feeling good the girls have been training a lot I'm excited to see them play" I nod "I bet how are you liking working for them?" "It's great I love it they're absolutely amazing there's never a boring day at the training center" I laugh.

"I bet" she laughs "so what exactly are the roles of your position?" She asks me "so I'm their social media manager right now I'm currently working on my public relations degree so handling social media is something that can build up my portfolio I take what their audience likes to see and serve them what they ask for" she nods listening attentively.

"I've seen the content you produce I like it I can see why the UConn girls have gained attraction" she says making me smile "yeah I mean they're the stars I just make sure their supporters get to see past their plays" I shrug. "My team of girls really love your content they're the ones who showed it to me and right now we actually don't have the best engagement with their fan base I was wondering if maybe you'd like to come work for us for just some time"

"Oh wow" I say surprised "well right now I'm working full time for the te-" "well we were hoping you could cover summer training?" She asks "these girls also have summer training" I say awkwardly "well I'm sure some dates are mixed around so any availability you have...honestly it'd be cool to have you on board maybe you'll even end up liking it a bit more than basketball"

"Just think about it here is my card for whatever reason" she says handing me a red and white card with her contact on it. "And well the girls are also here they did want to introduce themselves" she says "oh wow yeah ofcourse I'd love to"

We go over and go up the stairs to the stands and not so far from the court we stop at a row full of girls in nc merch. "Girls this is mad-" "coach let's not be silly we're the ones who introduced you to her" a really pretty brunette with green eyes says laughing. "Im Cecilia nice to meet you she this is the team" she smiles.

"Madeline likewise" they all wave before going back into their own conversation "so I'm sure coach talked to you what was the success rate?" she asks "well sincerely I am full time with the girls but if we have any downtime and you girls are able then I'll be sure to contact Coach Cruz" I say

"Or you can contact me I follow you on instagram... you just never followed back" she laughs "oh really that's my bad I don't really go through my following" I say pulling out my phone "you said your name was Cecilia right?" "It's Cecilia dot mor" she says as I type it on the search bar and sure enough there was a follow back on the screen.

I follow her back and put my phone away as the whole stadium starts cheering. I turn around and see the girls run out and make their way to the chair. "Well I better get going it was nice meeting you I'll be in contact maybe" I tell them before running back down to the court immediately making my way to Geno.

"Now why would you set me up like that if you want to get rid of me just say that G" i joke making him laugh. "I knew you weren't available so you were bound to reject them" he shrugs. "Yeah well now I feel bad" "well if you want I can give you some days off to work for them you can just get lots of content beforehand" he suggests.

"Thanks I'll let you know" I tell him he nods as he goes back to talk to the other coaches.