Chapter Seven: Twinkling Stars are My Guide

Chapter seven: Twinkling stars are my guide

I was rolling all over my bed. I couldn't find the perfect position to sleep. Maybe it's because I was itching to get out and do something. Something crazy. Mom and dad would flip once they found out about my doings here. They sent me here to behave. But was being here the perfect way to do that? I refused to be here.

So instead of making myself more miserable by trying to sleep, I got out of my bed, grabbed a flashlight and went out. Humid air met my bare skin. Now I knew why I couldn't sleep. There's no electric fan or air-conditioning in the cabin. Poor me. The bed wasn't even soft and the pillow, I would have bulges on my head everytime I hit my head on it. That's how hard the pillows were.

I turned on the flashlight and began walking. I didn't know where I should go first so I'd just have to roam around.

I thought of vandalizing the outside of Mr. Donald's office. Only, I couldn't find any paint. I had a drawing on my phone that I could use as a guide but then again, my phone was in the counselors' quarter. It was a cartoon I imitated. The drawing was a kid and he was showing his butt off to his angry mother. Mr. Donald would totally be pissed once he saw it.

"You know that after ten, no one is allowed outside, right?" I heard an all too familiar voice behind me.

I took in a deep breath before turning around to face a boring Gustav.

I crossed my arms. "So? You're outside too, you know," I informed him in case he didn't know that he was generalizing everyone with what he said.

"I'm the marshal for this week so that means, you're the only one who is breaking the rule," he said as a matter of fact.

"Marshal of this week my face." I stuck my tongue out at him. "And in case you don't know, I'm a law breaker."

He walked towards me but I didn't step back. If he thought that I'd be intimidated by him, no I wouldn't. No one could intimidate me.

"You think you're tough enough to be the law breaker? How annoying. And a brat, too. No wonder your parents made sure that when you get out of this camp, you'd have to be the lady-like they wanted you to be," he said.

I scowled at him, my fists balling. "Whatever they said to you or to Mr. Donald or to anyone in a higher position, you won't get that goal because no one can make me. I'm scared of no one. Not even to you."

He was, once again, quiet and watching me. I hated it whenever he would do that. There's something in his mind that he didn't want to share with me. I didn't like not knowing everything. It pissed me off when someone doesn't share a secret with me. If it's about me, I didn't care at all. As long as I knew everything, I was fine with it.

"Go back to your cabin," was the only thing he said before turning his back to me and walking to the other direction.

I grunted in frustration. I walked on the other side and that's when I saw a path. It's a trail for one of the activities I hadn't attended yet. I decided to try it out and see what's at the end of it.

Twenty minutes after and all I could hear was the rustling of the leaves. The air was getting a bit colder but still humid enough not to make me shiver. And then I came across a dead end.

"What now?" I asked to myself.

When I looked back with the trail I walked on, I saw nothing.

"Shit," I muttered.

I hadn't notice that I got lost already. I thought I was walking the same path still. How could I go back to the cabin? I checked my wrist watch, pointing the flashlight to it for me to see the time and it was only eleven but it looked already late.