Chapter Seventeen: Losing grip, almost

I woke up by seven in the evening already. I got up and noticed that no one was with me. So I went to the other rooms to check with my friends. Apparently, I didn't have any notification for it.

I sighed, a little bit frustrated. Where they could've gone? They wouldn't leave me, would they?

I noticed a folded paper beside my phone. I picked it up and saw Yuan's name at the very end of it. The letter was addressed to me so I read it...

Dear Riley,

We might not know you for so long but we are so thankful that you became part of the group. There's something we should talk about more. Like dislikes, likes, hobbies to make us feel secure about the friendship. We would like to know you more so please come downstairs.

Love, Yuan.

This was a sweet letter from a friend. I felt giddy all of a sudden. So maybe that's why they were acting that way earlier. I thought I did something bad to them that they didn't want to be friends with me anymore.

I changed to new set of clothes that I think would suit the surprise they planned for me. I was just wearing a T-shirt, jeans and converse. That outfit was to show that I didn't have any idea what they were planning.

Downstairs, it was dark. Like usual, surprises had to be in a dark place. There were murmurs and everything. I wanted to call out but someone grabbed my hand and held my hand, like we're about to dance. The other hand of the stranger was on my waist and then the lights came on.

Gustav was standing in front of me. He was the one holding me. He had a rose tucked in his mouth. He let go off my left hand, handing me the rose. Both of his hands were now on my waist and then a music started to play.

We swayed slowly. He was looking deep in my eyes. I didn't know what should I do. I didn't know how would I react. My friends were not in sight. No one was in sight. There's only me and Gustav and the music playing on a quiet night.

I swallowed the lump trapping my voice inside my throat. This was so not me right now. I couldn't hold back the blush that escaped my face. My heart... oh, my heart was hammering on my chest. This wasn't an exhausting activity but the feeling was so intense that my heart couldn't keep up with it anymore.

"How are you?" he asked, smiling the usual smile he had.

It was contagious. I smiled, shaking my head. "This is... I don't know. I was expecting something else and this... this is definitely not what it is," I admitted.

"Well, what are you expecting?" he asked with a chuckle.

My heart beat was doubling. I wasn't so sure if this feeling I was feeling still affects my heart condition. But I was afraid even if it wasn't.

I pulled away from him before answering his question. "That it's my friends who will meet me down here and not you only. Look, Gustav. You're a great guy, good looking and just so mysterious that I wanted to get to know you more but right now, I don't think I want to," I explained.

"Right now? What do you mean by that?" he asked, confused. His brows furrowed together. He was coming in closer to me but I showed my palm out to stop him from coming any closer.

"This is me, Gustav. I don't like attachments to anyone. I don't want to get any closer to anyone, especially this." I pointed my finger from him to me.

"What? I'm not... I'm not following, to be honest." He chuckled. "Seriously. I—"

"Well, you don't have to understand anything. I'm going." I let go off the rose and let it fall on the floor. "Guys, please come out," I called out. They showed up, pity on their faces. "I'm sorry I had to ruin this surprise."