11 . The Dream

"I believe in love at first sight, because I've been loving my mother since I opened my eyes."

-Anonymous.

___________________________________

The dream.

"Mom, what is a girlfriend?" The five year old boy laid his head on his mother's lap, eyes filled with curiosity. He looked up at his beautiful mom, expecting an answer which would take his confusion away.

"When you're old enough and if you are a good boy, you'll get one," an angelic voice filled with love towards her son said as the source of the voice ran her fingers through the little boy's midnight black hair affectionately.

"What if I'm a bad boy?" the kid couldn't help but ask.

His mother smiled, "then you will get many."

If the boy thought he was confused before, he was now more than just confused. He opened his mouth to ask something else but before he could, there was a loud knock that came from the door.

First, it was just a loud booming noise, but then soon after, more similar sound of the knocks filled the cottage that the little boy and his mother occupied.

"Open up, Evangeline! Your secret is no longer a secret! We've come to get that precious little thing you've been hiding!" A strong voice called through the door that had the boy hugging his mother like there's no tomorrow.

More people were banging on the door now, shouting to be let in.

"Mom, what's going on?" he asked in a small voice.

"Listen here, my love. I need you to go hide under that table and don't come out until I tell you to do so. Make sure nobody sees you, understand? Promise me you won't come out until it's safe!" the angelic voice whispered quickly in desperation. Her eyes filled with nonshed tears, she gulped as an attempt to not appear scared, to look stronger for her little boy.

The boy nodded, understanding the seriousness of the situation even at a young age. His mother made him jump off the bed and crawl under the wooden table which was just a few inches from his head at a sitting position.

The banging seemed to be getting louder by each passing second. His mother rushed to the door and opened it at once.

The breezy air washed inside the house, carrying the smell of wet soil and rain. Numerous sounds of thunders alerted everyone that a thunderstorm was on its way.

The boy could only see the back of the skirt his mother wore and a few pair of boots of men standing in front of her.

"Where is he?" One of the men questioned.

"Who, sir, and what are castle guards doing at a small cottage like this?"

"Don't try to act smart. We are no fools. The king has came to know of that little boy you've been hiding here for years. He has ordered us to bring him to the castle at once. Maybe if you cooperate, our king wouldn't be so harsh to punish you. Now, tell us, where is he?!"

"I do not know what you are talking about, sir. It's only I who live here, that has been the case ever since my master died. I don't have any children. I'm alone in this world." Evangeline tried to shift their attention to the tears streaming down her face to make them believe what she said was the truth.

"Mark, I think what she is saying is the truth. We don't see any kid or his belongings anywhere in this cottage." Another man standing next to Mark suggested.