36. Preparations.

"Who needs cocaine when human emotions can fuck you up just the same?"

_________________________________________

Past King and Queen's bedroom,

Crystalline Castle.

**

"Miss," someone was calling me, "miss wake up."

Trying to block out the voice, I rolled over to my left side. But suddenly, more sunlight hit my face, making me pull up the covers over my head.

Covers? I don't remember my body being covered with any blankets last night, because there weren't any--

Memories of what happened last night rushed through my mind. The music, Damien and I following it. Us opening the locked door, only to be met by the biggest surprise of our life. The portrait of the King and Queen, who looked just like us. Us being locked in.

Me falling asleep in his arms...

The last thought was enough to make my eyes snap wide open, as I sat up abruptly on the bed. The covers fell around me in a tangled mess. I looked around only to find that I was still in that room. My eyes discovered the maid standing by the bed, who had her hand stretched out as if she was just about to shake me. I noticed the door was wide open behind her, making me wonder who unlocked it.

And where was Damien?

"The king left for the meeting as soon as the sun came up, he'll be back by tomorrow. He ordered us to wake you up at nine and lock this room again once you're out of here." she informed me. Even though she was talking to me, her eyes were looking around the room, almost frightened. By the way her hands were clasped together to prevent them from shaking, I could tell the room gave her an edgy feeling.

While I experienced a sense of curiosity and belonging here, she was left with an eerie feeling.

"How did Damien open the door?" I asked her. She looked surprised, maybe because I called the king by his first name. But I don't think it really mattered what I call him anymore, not even to him because he lets it slid everytime.

"The door?" she seemed confused.

"Yes, when we were in here last night, we got locked in. So how did Damien manage to escape this morning?"

"I don't know anything about that, Miss. I was just told to wake you up."

Her brown eyes looked at the door. The young girl looked like she was ready to blast out of the room, so I felt bad to making her even more scared.

Pushing the covers off me, I got out of bed.

"Hey, did she-" the same guard from last night appeared in the doorway with the key to lock this door once again, "okay, good. Now both of you humans, out you go."

As I made my way over to the door, I suddenly felt upset. With each step I took closer to the door, the desire to stay increased. Something was pulling me back, as if the silence was begging me to stay.

And that's when I knew I was going crazy.

Mentally shaking my head, I started to walk faster. But something else caught my eye.

A sharp light hit my eyes, which I discovered was the small vase reflecting the sunlight. It was placed on a small round table by the wall, with only a stem inside it, no flower in sight. As I looked closer, I noticed the glass vase was placed on top of a piece of paper, as if to keep it from flying away. I ignored the guard for a moment as I rushed over to the table, taking a closer look. How did I not see this paper yesterday? But then again it was so dark in here that I couldn't make out every single detail of the room.