21. So Close Yet So Far.

"We were walking on moonlight,
And you pulled me close
Split second and you disappeared
And then I was all alone

I woke up in tears
With you by my side
A breath of relief
And I realized
No, we're not promised tomorrow"

-Like I'm gonna lose you by
Meghan Trainor.

_____________________________________

The King's bedroom,

Crystaline Castle.

**

A heavy weight was holding me down as I tried to move, half asleep. After some failed attempts, I gave up and decided to finally open my eyes and find out what's causing me distress. The first thing my eyes came across was the white ceiling with the beautiful swirly, golden patterns.

Something was breathing on my neck, or rather, someone. Yesterday's faded memories snaked it's way back into my brain until I became stiff with realization.

I fell asleep in the King's bed.

Oh my God.

How am I still alive?

I lifted my head off the bed and tried to sit up but the strong arm wrapped around my waist prevented me to even move a muscle. Slowly turning my head, I noticed the King sleeping peacefully next to me. The front of his body was firmly pressed against my side. He was too close, to point where his warm breath tickled my neck.

I closed my eyes, trying to think of a  way to get away from him. I gave his arm a gentle push but it tightened around me.

God, please save me.

I glanced at his face but my eyes stayed there as I noticed his now wide awake ones.

At that moment, I knew I was in trouble and nobody will be able to save me this time. Why did I fell asleep? Why did I take care of him, after all he's done to me? Why?

Our eyes were locked for a split second but then before I could comprehend what was happening, he moved so fast until his frame was on top of mine, without touching any piece of my skin.

I tried to shrink back into the bed but soon realized there was no possible escape now. Those black orbs of his, turned into the endless pool of golden color which only brought me trouble.

His fingers reached out and touched my jaw ever so lightly that I could have mistaken them for a feather. But the intensity of that single touch could only be his. My scared eyes silently looked over his features as they grew closer to my face.

In a husky, deep voice he whispered, "Why are you so close to me?"

"I--I.. " was all I could mutter, fog taking over my brain. Why couldn't I think of a single sentence to explain why I was here?

The decreasing distance between us didn't help me get my thoughts together at all. But when his nose was almost touching mine, he changed the way he was going and turned his head towards my neck.

My body became more frightened thinking he was going to bite me again. My hands, which have been holding onto the bedsheets in a fist, reached up to touch his shoulders as I finally said, "stop."

He took a hold of one of my hands, intertwining our fingers and placed them on the pillow next to my head.

All this time, his messy hair tickled my cheek as he whispered in a frustrated voice,"Fuck, do you have any idea what you're doing to me?"

Before I could ask him what he meant, the soft kiss he placed on my neck, turned my mind into nothingness. He tightened the hold on my hand as I tried to squirm away. A warm feeling was born right where he kissed, and it spread itself to every single corner of my body. I closed my eyes to get rid of it, but that only made his every touch ten times more electrifying.

"Stop," I said again.

"You don't want that, Lexi."

"I do." my voice was stronger this time.

"Your racing heart says otherwise. I can read your every thought at the moment. You want anything but for me to stop."

His fingers roamed every part of my skin in sight. He took a hold of my neck and made me turn my head to the right just an inch with his thumb, giving him a better access as he placed small kisses there and everywhere, making me gasp.

Then, right when I opened my eyes, using his Vampire speed, he was across the room, away from me, in a blink. The cold air hit me, bringing me back to reality. I felt like I had zoned off into a different world while he was so close to me. I hated feeling that way.

I watched him as he turned his head towards the door, right when a knock came from it.

"Lexis, you in there?"

It was Maria.

Sitting up so fast that my head spinned for a second, I found my voice and yelled, "Y- yeah! Just give me a second!"

I patted my hair and ran my hands through them to get rid of the tangles. I noticed the King, leaning back on the wall with his eyes closed, whispering to himself.

I ran to open the door and was met by a cheerful Maria but her eyes soon turned worried as she noticed who else was in the room.

"Oh! Good morning, your Majesty. I didn't think you would still be here. I just came to check on Alexis, how she's doing...I can come back later." She greeted him with a bow.

The King rolled his black eyes and gave Maria the fakest smile I've ever seen, "Oh no, no. Your timing is great, human. I was just about to leave anyway. Olivia must be waiting for me, maybe she can take care of this massive headache I have right now."

His eyes watched me carefully as he said the last few words. A sting in my chest was what I felt when he said her name. I remember her, the maid who was being so rude to me. The one who called me a whore. He's going to her. And it didn't take a genius to figure out what they were going to do. But why is he telling me that? Why couldn't he just keep the information to himself? I wouldn't be feeling like I can't breath if he did.

He's going to her right after he treated me like that. Like I was the most precious thing. Maybe I'm just going insane. Maybe staying locked away for years has finally started to turn me into a crazy person.

Pushing away the negative thoughts, I kept a straight face on as he walked past me slowly, as if expecting me to say something, as if expecting me to stop him. Why would I? I would probably get beat again for ordering "his majesty" around.

He tuned his head to look at me one last time, before walking out of the room, slamming the door, alerting others of his departure.

Maria ran towards me, "are you okay? I heard the king gave you his blood. How's that working out?"

Oh Maria, if you only knew.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

***********************************

-J.S.