~12~

Above: Auden Davis, as of June 2nd 2017

"So, after we got out of Brookevale, Jackson said he would take us as far as Greenway." TK told me, as we sat near the defense area.

"That's exactly what Jackson told us." I said. "I wonder why he couldn't follow?"

"He told us he had other things to finish."

"Same." I said, shaking my head. "I'm starting to think he isn't such a good person after all."

"It's too soon to draw conclusions. So, what do we have to eat here?"

I got up, and groaned. "We have a lifetime supply of dinosaur nuggets, and enough broccoli to feed Europe."

"Cool. I haven't eaten in 5 days. Food ran out in Brookevale."

"I can tell." I said, as we walked down the food aisle. "We set up kind of a cooking station down at the home and improvement aisle."

"Man, you guys have it set here." TK said, but then his face changed, from humor to utter seriousness. "I've been thinking. Are you all planning to go to Riverside North?"

"I don't know. They say it's my call, but I doubt they'll sit here much longer. Whenever we're not panicking because of a stranger attack, or screaming at each other, it's incredibly boring in here." I said, opening a freezer. Cold air blew out, and I yanked a box of "Cook it yourself Lasagna!" out of the freezer before quickly shutting it.

"We can't afford for any cold air to be wasted. It'll be the only thing keeping food from going bad, soon." I explained.

TK nodded, and we made our way down to the home and improvement aisle, where everyone was already there, heating up their own meals, and eating them. Jordan seemed to have had fun in the past 2 hours, sporting a gun holster, with 2 gun slots, each one filled with a large knife. She was currently eating very rare (or raw) beef.

"Jordan! Quit eating raw steak for the blood!" TK shouted angrily.

"Don't tell me how to live my life." Jordan simply stated, then turned to me. "So how is this Riverside North plan going?"

"We're not going to Riverside North! We'll never make it there!" I said firmly, as Auden piped in.

"It would safer in the long run." He pointed out. "The government runs the safe zone. You guys run Greenway. This isn't gonna work."

"Until Jackson comes back," TK said, "We aren't going anywhere."

"But what if Jackson is back?" Jackson said from right behind me.

I turned around swiftly, and punched him in the face, my entire chest heaving. He stumbled back, laughing hard. He was still wearing his signature hood, but it was a bit ripped off, and blood soaked through it in places.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Miranda shouted, as I realized, the rest of us were scared shit as well.

"Nothing really. I thought I would drop by, and make a guest appearance on the 'Jack tries to lead a group' show, and let me tell you, Jack, you are doing a terrible job." He said, grinning.

"Shut up." I said, my face burning red.

"Why are you here." TK said, leaning against the shelf. The shelf buckled away, and TK slipped, and landed butt first on the floor.

"First, to tell you that you failed." He said, as everyone laughed. "Second, I came to tell you that you need to go to the safe zone in Riverside North."

I sighed. "What makes you think we won't die getting there?" I asked, cocking my head to the side.

"I know you won't die... because I'll come with you." Jackson said seriously.

"Have you seen those things?" Henry asked. "Even I think this is a bad idea!"

"It's true. He is very arrogant." Miranda said, and Henry punched her in the arm.

"Did a fly just breathe on me?" She asked.

"Enough." I scolded. I felt like a middle aged father... I don't know if you could tell, but I shuddered right there.

"I just need to take you all into Riverside South, and then we cross the bridge into Riverside North, unless-"

"Unless what?" Jordan asked.

"Unless the military blows the bridge to stop the infection spread." Jackson said. "So who's in?"

Nobody chimed in.

"I have cookies in my van." Jackson said.

"That seems a little stalky." Henry said.

"I'm sold!" Jordan says. "Let's all ride in the stalker van!"

"What kind of cookies?" Miranda asked.

"Sugar cookies."

"Eh... they're okay. I'm in."

"I'm in." TK said.

"I'm following TK." Auden said.

"Fine, I'm in. I don't wanna be alone!" Henry agreed.

Everyone turned to me, in expectancy, while I went through every way this situation could go wrong in my head.

"Oh my god, fine." I groaned. "But, we're not ready. We need to scout for supplies other than food and water."

"I'm fine with that. Who knows what to find in the vast has-been land of Pinedale!" Jackson exclaimed.

***

"I'm not too sure about this." I said, as I packed food strategically into my backpack, placing freeze dried foods flat on the bottom, and water bottles building up, leaving room for various weapons.

"Oh, it'll be fine. "Auden assured.

I still hardly knew the guy, and yet we were already fair friends. "Just keep your head on straight, and try not to get distracted. We've been out in the open for days. The strangers travel in packs usually."

Not exactly reassured, I said, "Thanks!"

We all headed for the hatch, and soon climbed up onto the roof. The terrain below was dotted with strangers. Before we could jump, Miranda pointed off into the distance.

"Who's that?" She asked.

Somebody was running down the road, screaming his bloody head off, as he was being chased by a large pack of strangers.

"Holy mother of god, it's Griffin." I said, grinning. "The idiot can't go one day without screwing up, can he?"

"GRIFFIN!" Miranda screamed, and jumped off the roof, and began running to him.

We all sighed, laughed, and went to go follow her.