~30~

You could imagine most of the responses for that was on the lines of, "What does he mean 'disaster?'" and "What's the big deal about what's going on?"

I realized quickly that this was the guy that the doctor had been talking about. The man that would brief us all. I was interested in what he had to say. 

I was grateful for some information, but I was also a tad bit nervous about the armed soldiers now flooding into the room. What was happening?"

As some of you may know, there has been a severe Class 3 Outbreak in the Brookevale-Pinedale-Low Living District Tri-District Area. The pathogen, a deadly virus known as GH-327 had spread undercover for almost a year, infecting everyone on the east coast, and possibly everyone in the United States. As the CDC discovered before it fell in Georgia, it sent up spores every month, until it infected a maximum amount of people. Then, the virus, classified a fungal disease, hit 'the kill switch' so to speak. 60% of the infected population died from the disease, due to some kind of reaction. It caused the skin to swell, and then burst, destroying the organs from the inside out.

As he said this, people began to panic, as the true realization of what they had dodged had began to set in. The CDC couldn't pick up the disease... how did the rest of the state, country, or WORLD look like?

But 40% of the infected population however, didn't die. They lived through the disease in the initial kill event. The fungus took control of the hosts' brains and prompted them to find new hosts. The infected hunted down animals, and humans to embed the virus in. They did this by biting the open flesh of any living organism. If the victim did not die of blood poisoning, they would become one of the infected, devoted only to find a new host.

This guy was saying things pretty nonchalant. He said that people were getting eaten as if he was simply saying that the vending machines were out of N&N's.

Reports of attacks from infected all across the eastern seaboard began about 22 days ago. It started here, with Geegle, and spread north and south like wildfire. By about 3 days after the first attacks, the entire east coast had fallen into anarchy. Maine to Florida. President Booker, who was evacuated to a safe-zone in a undisclosed  region, ordered the lock-down of  all the affected states. We were then ordered to firebomb the states. We evacuated citizens, and did the job. We made sure that no infected was left alive. Unfortunately, the spores have already been released, according to CDC doctors in Seattle. We're safe for now, as there is nothing we can do about the spread of the pathogen anymore, but we do have extremely good news.

Some people started to perk up. Good news was something that didn't come very often anymore. I looked at TK, who was staring intently at the screen, waiting.

Another study has shown a variance of results in many subjects. This study regards an enzyme produced in the brain that allows a somewhat immunity to the disease. There are three types of people in the world, in regards to producing such an enzyme.

1. The ones who have no immunity. They are the ones who inevitably got the disease. They have no resistance and consisted of 90% of the infected the bursted in infection.

2. The ones that have resistance to the spores, but not the bites and contact of the infected. They are a high risk to society, because they can carry the disease for weeks, spreading it to everyone they know, before becoming a host.

I immediately thought of Auden. None of us died to the spores, but he was bit. In the hand. It killed him in the end, I suppose.

3. The ones who have a sort of invulnerability to the disease. They can not get it in any way, are in no danger, or are no danger to society. Only about 20% of the population are lucky enough to call themselves immunes.

The blood test you were all submitted to was for my study on whether any of you are immune, and how many are not. I will now rattle of the names of Immunes and Non-Immunes based on arrival. You will be escorted to your corresponding planes to go to the North Dakota Refuge Camp of the Immune, and the Minnesota Concentration Camp of the Non-Immune.

The murmuring began again. Separate camps? CONCENTRATION CAMPS? Jordan was staring at me, as I began breathing a little faster. Not enough for anyone to notice except for her. Jordan picked up on everyone's moods, and the slightest change in body language, or breathing patterns.

What if we were separated? What would we do?

"Hey." TK said, nudging me. "Everything's gonna be okay. None of us are infected, so chances are that we're all immune."

"I hope you're right." I sighed.

The man had began listing off names, and what their status was, and the mass hysteria began. 

Bob- Immune

Alice- Non Immune

Daphne- Non Immune

Steven - Immune

Meleah- Non Immune

People were getting torn from families by these soldiers. I was horrified. They couldn't do this to innocent people, no matter how snobby and jerky they were!

"YOU CAN'T TAKE US AWAY!" Someone screamed, throwing a dead phone at a TV. It shattered, broken glass raining down, as more and more people were getting wrestled away by the soldiers.

Griffin- Immune

Jordan- Immune

Takes... Takisha... Ah, Takeshi - Immune

TK swore that went without saying. He hated it when people mispronounced his name.

Miranda- Non Immune

Griffin, suddenly looking very confused, was shoved away from Miranda by a soldier. This was quickly followed by anger. The soldier grabbed Miranda by the arm and started to herd her towards the growing mass of non-immunes as they were being led out the door.

Jack- Non Immune

"No!" Someone yelled.

Suddenly, I was in a headlock. A soldier was dragging me across the floor. I yelled. I kicked. 

Griffin was punching a guard to the floor. He threw Griffin off him, and smacked him in the face with the butt of his rifle. Griffin's nose split open, blood pouring out. Miranda screamed from next to me. We were slowly being dragged out the door by the soldiers. The Immunes were rioting, throwing stuff at the soldiers. And that man just kept talking. Talking about a better life. Not when we were separated. What did it say on the capital building? United We Stand. Not divided. But I guess the capital had been bombed, so it didn't really matter anyway.

We were almost out the door, and heading towards the gate to our plane. A new plane to a new life. I think flying was ruined for me. I was immediately thankful Jackson's hoodie was in my backpack, along with my book. My sword was still on my back, just in case.

I caught one last glimpse of TK, Jordan, and Griffin's lifeless body on the floor. He was in a daze. Alive at least.

"WE'LL FIND YOU GUYS!" TK yelled, as we rounded the corner.