~26~

The road ahead was long and dangerous. I guess the strangers knew this too. They didn't come out much... so I guess that made it easy.

Our short vacation came to shattering stop just two days before. At that moment, we had two more days to get to the bridge, and we were in the Shipping District, just another day away from the bridge. It had all seemed like we were going to make it. Optimism peaked, even for Jordan. A boring day is a happy day though, right?"

It wasn't until that day though, where we started to have doubts.

"You ever think that when we get there, there will be nothing there, and the military will kill us?" Griffin asked me, as we hiked through some small woods.

"Not really, no." I said, confidently. "I know it's there."

"How?" TK asked.

"He has telekinetic powers." Jordan hinted.

"I got a feeling in my gut." I lied, as my "gut" was actually Jackson.

"Telekinetic powers are still an option."

"They aren't." I said, annoyed.

"That's what a telekinetic person would say."

I sighed, and we continued on. Even though everyone else had relaxed a while ago, I was still alert. We had heard the occasional shuffle from strangers every once and a while. 

"I'm tired." Miranda complained.

I grinned. We woke up at 5:00 in the morning. We needed a kick-start on the day if we were to make it in time.

"Then sleep." Jordan said. "I'll carry you."

"Really?"

"No."

I laughed, and focused on the road ahead. My now ruined Adudas running shoes were completely destroyed beyond repair. Blood coated the soles, there were massive chunks out of the foam in the back. The shoelace tips were broken. They were still usable though. I had to have clocked at least a hundred miles into them in the past two weeks.

"Can we at least have breakfast?"

That was another problem. We only had so much food, and water was running low. But then again, soon we wouldn't be needing it. If we did get to UCIA by the time the planes took off, we wouldn't really have to worry about that.

"TK, what time is it?" I asked, for he had the only working watch.

"Time for you to get a watch."

I pointed at one of the shops lining the single road leading up to the docks intersection. 

"You want to go on a scouting trip, or do you want to eat? Your choice."

"It's 6:30 AM Eastern Standard Time." He told me.

"Alright. Eat if you guys want. I'll keep watch." I said, throwing my backpack at the side of the road.

As they started to rip open their new packs, and eat food gingerly, I began to notice that there was rustling in some of the trees, yet there was no wind.

Shut up, idiot. You're just paranoid.

Was I though? It might have been logical with wind, but without? Maybe it was just another quirk in this world we weren't supposed to live in.

"How far do you think we have left to go?" Miranda asked.

"Beats me." I said. "I'm guessing only a little bit longer."

"I would hope so." TK said, looking up from his food. "We don't have much time to get there."

And there it was. The rustling again. This time, Jordan looked up. Her usual dopey attitude was gone.