.25.

A week later, I was in the middle of my last class when my phone vibrated in my pocket. I pulled it out, and Arthur bumped my knee with his own, trying to get me to pay attention. I just bumped him back. I looked up, making sure the teacher wasn't looking, and then put in my phone password and opened my messages. My stomach turned.

'How are you doing, Alfie?' It was my mother. I locked it and slipped my phone back into my pocket.

'Who was that?' Arthur slipped the note over to me, and I frowned before scribbling a quick reply and sliding it back over.

'Just a teach'

He didn't ask anything else, and turned his attention back to the teacher. I joined him, staring up at the board, but I didn't take anymore notes.

Why was she texting me? Why the hell did she call me that? What did she want?

The class passed slowly, even though there was only a half hour left, but once the bell rang, I gathered my things and left the classroom.

"Alfred?" I turned back to see Arthur rushing to catch up.

"Sorry," I said as I pulled out my phone, "I have to go talk with a teacher," I stuffed it back in my pocket, feeling it buzz again for the seventh time.

"O-Oh, okay," He said, smiling, "I'll call later." I nodded and then hurried off through the halls.

When I got out to my car, I let it idle for a moment while I checked over my messages.

'Hello? Alfie?'

'Why aren't you answering?'

'Did I do something wrong?'

'Sorry about Matt'

'Why won't you answer me Alfred?'

'What's so wrong with you that you can't answer your mother?'

'Why can't you be like Matthew?'

I threw my phone in the back, letting it get lost on the floor.

What the fuck was wrong with her?!

...

What was wrong with me?

I glared at my steering wheel for a few moments longer before letting out a breath or resignation and pulling out of the parking lot. I could hear my phone buzzing again on the floor of my car, signaling at least another ten messages and a few calls by the time I got home.

I grabbed my phone from the floor, checking it over to see fourteen new messages and two missed calls, all from my Mom.

I sighed and went inside, heading up to my room. I collapsed onto my bed and opened my messages, preparing for what would be waiting.

'What, you won't say anythign?'

'Was I right?'

'I wish Mathew wsa here'

'I want my son back'

'Why did he have to die?'

'He shouldn't have'

'Why did it have to be him?'

'Why didn't you, Alfred?'

'I want my baby back'

'You know'

'It's not fair'

'He was jsut a child'

'why?'

'Why him?'

My eyes teared up as I read through her messages and I put my arm over my eyes as I took in a shaky breath. Suddenly, my phone began vibrating excessively, and I peeked to see she was calling me again.