Chapter 25

~~~

Edyth was different. I had to say that. I didn't know how or why but somehow the school was taken by her. I doubted she even said anything to anybody but by the time I was walking into the cafeteria, everyone was singing her name. It had to be the hair. Or maybe it was her quiet demeanor. Everyone loved the mysterious brooding new boy and I guess the fact that she's a girl wouldn't change their interest. Really, she could have her choice of anybody as a friend. They were all trying to get her to talk, trying to be the one to spill her secrets, trying to capture the spot light. I was finally off their minds which was a good thing for me but the amount of times I almost got pushed over before the person realized it was me and immediately apologized was annoying. Somehow through all that and the sort of cold way Edyth acted earlier, she still followed me into the cafeteria. And with her came the eyes of everyone else.

"So Edyth how was your first day of school?" I asked her.

She raised an eyebrow at me and then looked away. I thought that her vow of silence was reserved for me but her expression told me all the same. She looked to be mildly annoyed with everyone. Would she swear a lot when she spoke? Would she be like Charlie? Oh god, I have to keep Cory away from her. At the same time she seemed to be, I guess, more alive. There is a certain strength that came back to her since I saw her when she woke up. Yeah, she isn't this place's greatest fan but she definitely would rather be here than wherever she came from. I swear I will find out where she came from and I will do something about it. Tracking would be hard, but I'm soon to be alpha. I can pull a couple strings.

"Alright, I'll just introduce you to my friends. I'll warn you though, some of them are different." We walked to my table. Pretty much everyone else was already sitting. I didn't know if they've already met her but I'm sure they've heard about her because their heads rose at the same time to see us. Cory, grinned wide enough so that fragments of his lunch mixed with saliva could be seen between his teeth. I shook my head. Maybe I should have mentioned him, like I did mention Bryn and Erik.

"Hey guys, this is Edyth. She just moved in nearby me and she's one of us now." I introduced her to my friends. I think I should have smacked myself for thinking that her offering to sit with me last period would be the start of a beautiful friendship. It wasn't that at all, unless I was the overly excited girl and she was the one annoyed with me and wanted nothing to do with me. I have little patience; I mean it's not even twelve hours since she shifted. What was I expecting? Someone to take over the Becca sized hole in my life? That's a ridiculous idea. Even if we did become friends, Edyth wouldn't be able to fit exactly into that piece. I could only think that the hole would change so that it would hold her perfectly. Who needed a Becca anyways? Look what she turned out to be. At least this seemed to be more hopeful than my progress with Bryn.

All the excitement that came along with Edyth didn't let me think about him as much as I wanted to. He let me push him home. I don't know if I was looking too much into it but I swear that we had a special moment right then. Just the two of us. Stop, it Arabelle. I can't think too much into these things, I just have to let it all happen. But what if I get stuck in the friend zone? What if I never come out and Bryn finds some nice human girl- then everything would be normal and perfect for him. What if my heart gets broken all over again? Well then the answer is easy- I'll be shattered. Stop. I just have to focuses on Edyth. Yes, Edyth was given to me by the fates to take care of and take my mind off of things that could just about hurt me even more. "Edyth, these are my friends, Cory, Jules, Ty, Charlie, Erik and Bryn."

Edyth eyed them all, especially the last two. Did she know they were human? She probably could have since she already shifted and can smell it on then. Did she wonder why they were here? I did tell her that they would be different. Is she a human hater? Why is she staring at Bryn so long? Bryn smiled and said hello, while Erik shifted in his seat and sounded less sure. Please don't penalize him.