List of Characters

Lady Emmeline Lockhart — The leading lady of this tale, Emmeline Artemis Lockhart is a well-bred young lady. Educated, opinionated, and skilled in two musical instruments, she is an intellectual woman although not yet married if only because she is not as breathtakingly beautiful as many of her peers.

Penelope Smith — Emmeline's loyal maid-in-waiting. Young, clever, and observant. Though almost a decade her junior, Penny seems to be the young Lady Lockhart's best friend and her sole confidant during the hardest of times.

Lord Emmett Lockhart — Lord Emmett Apollo Lockhart, Earl of Portsmouth by courtesy, is Emmeline's older twin brother. He is a fine young lord popular among other members of the peerage, outgoing, charismatic, and generous. Doubtlessly handsome, noble and wealthy, he also finds himself considered as a desirable husband by many young women.

Captain Peter Jamison — Emmett's dearest friend. Intelligent, valiant and faithful, he is a naval officer very established for his age. Having made his home in the sea, he has seawater in his blood and has not laid eyes on a maiden he should like to take as a wife for more than twenty years of his life.

Lord William Lockhart — A glacial duke, seemingly callous and devoid of all human emotion. Emmeline's father.

Lady Bethany Rutherford — Emmeline's aunt, younger sister of her mother, the late Lady Anne Lockhart. A proud daughter of a marquis, she is a woman of only the most expensive tastes and is often perceived as very arrogant. She is, on almost every occasion, very confident in her judgement of things and people alike.

Queen Sarah I — Originally only a merchant's daughter, she stumbled her way into royalty after a series of events led the then crown prince Andrew St James to fall madly in love with her. Decades after being crowned a princess, she is her husband's greatest advisor, is respected by all, has a strong sense of respect for all, and is very progressive for a woman of her time.

King Andrew I — Like William Lockhart, he is a rather unfeeling father to his son. He rules his land with little emotion but with much wisdom and grace, and he loves his wife more than any other person he has ever laid his eyes upon.

Prince Alexander — The hotheaded crown prince. He is rather myopic, and has a strong sense of self worth. While his self-respect is not an inherently bad quality, it often leads him into catastrophic situations in combination with his lack of perceptiveness.