Chapter Nineteen - Part Two

FATHER, SON, DAUGHTER AND SUITOR SAT IN A CARRIAGE ON THE WAY TO St James' Palace to make their appeal to the monarchs. In her anxiety, Emmeline had bitten her bottom lip to the extent of drawing blood. Peter was restless, and could not sit still. Emmett watched his sister sit by his dearest friend, and while he was fully aware of the personal price he would pay should their request be granted, he could not help but realise that they looked like a match made in heaven. Regret weighed on his chest like the self-centred worry that had once shrouded his judgement and caused great folly, but he could do naught about it but pray that the King would be merciful and reasonable. If he loved his wife as much as Emmeline claimed he did, he must understand how Emmeline and Peter felt toward one another. Surely he would not separate two young lovers so?

While all three young people in the carriage fretted, William was brooding just as much. He sat solemn and still, but if one observed his dark eyes, the concern in them was evident. He had to put on a confident front for his daughter's sake, but his most rational side told him that her worries were not unwarranted in the least.

But her mother was dead, Bethany did not care for her happiness, and the duty of securing her a life worth living fell upon his shoulders and his shoulders alone. Though they were broad, the weight of the matter was immense, and the task to accomplish was daunting even for the duke well acquainted with life's trials and tribulations. If the proposal of pledging Mayfair's allegiance to the royal family would not work, he would give everything he had to persuade the King.

The carriage eventually drew to a stop outside the Palace. A guard rapped on it and opened the door. After verifying that its passengers would not threaten security in the palace, he grumbled a pleasantry and sent it back on its way. Another palace guard was present when the door opened again to greet them and give them directions to see the King.

Upon entry into the throne room, the three men bowed and Emmeline swept into a deep curtsy in greeting of the two regal monarchs.

"How lovely it is to see you, Duke Mayfair." Sarah greeted the duke merrily, while her husband kept deathly silent. "Who is this young man you have brought to us? What business would you like to discuss?"

"It concerns Emmeline, Your Majesty," he replied, "and the engagement."

Andrew did not look surprised, but Sarah's eyebrows raised considerably. "Oh! I see. Pray tell, my lord – if there is anything we can do to make the wedding more pleasant for you..."

"Your Majesty... I apologise in advance, but I'm afraid you could not do so," was the reply, "in any way except for calling it off."

"Call off the wedding?" she echoed with eyes wide as saucers, well and truly shocked by William's request. "Why ever would you wish for that, Lord Mayfair? Emmeline is a wonderful young lady, and it would be a blissful union—"

"Respectfully, Your Majesty, it would not be one." William's voice was grave. "Once again, I apologise, but... I'm afraid that Emmeline seems to be quite in love with another man – this young captain here. I myself had an unsuccessful marriage and I cannot—"

Halfway through his persuasive speech, however, the duke was interrupted.

"Captain, you say?" Straightening in his throne, Andrew finally spoke, his booming voice was commanding enough authority to make any man other than William Lockhart quake in his boots. He turned to Peter, his calculating eyes hawk-like as they attempted to penetrate his very soul. "You serve my navy, do you?"

Peter ordered himself to remain composed, and forced his head to nod firmly and his voice to remain level as he uttered his response. "Yes, Your Majesty."