Chapter Seven

Happy late Tuesday! Early update this week! I wanted to wait till tomorrow to publish this on the scheduled day, but I have exciting news in the Author's Note and I couldn't wait any longer!

"OH, AUNT BETH!" EMMELINE CRIED, RUSHING DOWN THE HALL INTO THE drawing room to greet the extravagantly-dressed lady who had just arrived at Wellington House. Emmett was out of the house meeting with a lord he was familiar with who was passing through London, and William had refused to welcome Bethany into his home. Thus, the duty of receiving the guest fell upon Emmeline's small shoulders – but, as a trained lady, greeting her aunt was nothing she could not handle. "I have missed you so!"

"As I have missed you, my darling," Bethany crooned, smiling with pleasure as she watched her niece drop into a low curtsy like the refined lady she was always destined to be. After Emmeline had risen, Bethany drew her into her arms for a tight embrace. "My, what a lovely thing you have grown into. Just look at you!"

"Oh, Aunt Beth, thank you for your kind words, but I am far from lovely," Emmeline responded with a strained laugh.

Bethany's brow furrowed immediately. "Emmeline, darling, you are the loveliest young lady I have ever known. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise."

Emmeline shook her head vehemently at this statement, but decided to change the subject instead of dwelling on her lack of physical beauty. It was, understandably, something she did not enjoy debating. "Come, Aunt, do let me show you to one of the guest rooms. Penelope, carry her luggage, will you?"

Penny complied silently, knowing that she should behave differently before the likes of Bethany Rutherford from when she was alone with her mistress. Bethany linked arms with Emmeline as they began towards one of the house's finer guest suites, chattering about the newest renovations in Rutherford House's parlour. She was not terribly interested in the new detailing on the ceiling, but listened politely, occasionally offering words of approval and appreciation as a lady should do in that situation.

"Here it is, Aunt," Emmeline announced when they arrived in front of a large door with gold inlay in the doorframe. "The finest room Wellington House has to offer. Do let me know if you require anything else, and I will see to it that your needs are met."

Bethany held her niece by the arms and beamed affectionately at her. "You have beautiful manners, my darling – a true  lady indeed."

Emmeline managed a laugh. "Thank you, Aunt Bethany, but I think I do not deserve such praise. This is the least I can do for you. Ring the bell if you need anything at all. We will have tea in an hour or so – I will send a maid to escort you to the dining room."

She bobbed a curtsy and left her aunt to rest, shutting the door and heading back to her room with Penny in tow. When they were a safe distance away, she turned to the other girl and asked, "Tell me, Penny – what do you think of my aunt Bethany?"

"I think she loves you very much, my lady," the maid in waiting answered. "She seems to think the world of you, and in my humble opinion, I think she is not at all wrong in doing so. What she says is true – my lady, shall you ever realise that you are beyond conventional beauty?"

Emmeline produced a noncommittal hum.

Knowingly, Penny said nothing else.

***

EMMELINE MISSED ADALBERTO'S COOKING, BUT SAID NOTHING, INSTEAD nibbling on a rather tasteless biscuit in courteous silence as Bethany chattered on and on about her own days in finishing school. Her niece wished more than anything in that moment that her stories were interesting. Unfortunately, however, Emmeline had, over many years, found that most of her wishes did not come true. "My mother – your grandmother – sent me to the finest finishing school in all of London. She sent all of us, you know, even your silly Aunt Caitlyn, and of course your mother attended the same school. If memory still serves me well, however, she did not like it very much..."