Chapter Six

A/N Hello again! Here's your weekly update! But before that, three things to address in today's Author's Note:

1: Dedication - this chapter is dedicated to the ever-lovely @curlygirl78. Thank you so much for all your support! We're up to #738 in Historical Fiction - hooray!

2: Comments - For this chapter, let me know if you'd like me to make my author's notes shorter or longer, and if you want them at the start or end of chapters.

3: Update Schedule / Timezones - I just realised today that my schedule might be confusing for some of you. As I live in the southern hemisphere, I update every Wednesday during the daytime in my timezone; but some of you may receive updates in the dead of the night on Tuesday (depending of course on where you live). I hope this clears any potential doubt up. :)

That's all for now; enjoy the chapter!

"TO LONDON FOR TEA, MY LADY?" PENNY LOOKED POSITIVELY BAFFLED. Her mistress had been most enigmatic in her explanations of her trip. Why would anyone make the trip to London for tea?

"Yes," Emmeline replied as she pulled another armful of dresses out of her closet before turning to smile wryly at her maid. "To London for tea with Her Majesty Queen Sarah, and we then shall stay briefly with my father before returning to Portsmouth with my brother."

"The Queen," Penny echoed, nearly swooning. "The Queen?"

Emmeline laughed, handing the garments to the awestruck girl. "Yes; the Queen. Truly, Penny, it took me three whole days to comprehend that the invitation was not a figment of my imagination. I do wonder what Her Majesty would want to do with me."

"Perhaps it's to do with His Grace your father," Penny suggested as she proceeded to pack the dresses into a suitcase.

"Why would she ask me to tea then?" Emmeline cast her lady's maid a quizzical look across the room.

Unable to answer this question, the servant just shrugged as she bent down to fit everything in nicely. "I know far less of these matters than you, my lady."

"Well," Emmeline sighed, "I'm just glad we started using your mother's miracle oils last week. My hair is much more suited to meet Her Majesty now – you must convey my sincerest thanks to Mrs Smith the next time you see her."

"As I said, my lady, you have beautiful hair by nature." Penny smiled. "Thick hair tends to require more care than usual."

Her mistress only offered her a smile in reply.

"I think we've packed everything I need," Emmeline declared, clapping her hands together. "We've prepared my dresses and my jewellery, and my creams and powders as well as my book. I don't imagine I'd need anything else – after all, we will be staying with Father. What of your luggage, Penny? Is it ready?"

"Yes, my lady, I prepared my things last week after you mentioned that we'd be going on a trip," she answered with an smile. "If I may speak my mind, my lady, I'm wonderfully excited. I've never been to London."

Emmeline frowned. "I don't particularly fancy the city, but I hear the palace is beautiful. The duke's property, Wellington House, is pleasant to look at as well; far larger than this estate, for certain." She paused. "I, however, do not look forward to seeing Father again."

Penny grimaced. "I'm sorry, my lady. Please, I did not mean to upset you."

"No, no," the young lady dismissed her concerns, waving them off with a flippant hand. Then her eyes brightened as a new topic formed in her mind, and she thought of a particularly strapping young gentleman she had grown to love daydreaming about like the lovesick girl she absolutely was not.