Chapter Eight - Part Two

AMAZING news: We're at #172 in Historical Fiction as of 11 October, 2016! Things like this make me believe that magic is real! Thank you so so so much!

(Unfortunately, we have since dropped back to the 300s. That's okay, though!)

NEITHER PARTY KNEW HOW LONG THE TWO TALKED, ONE A QUEEN AND the other the daughter of a duke, discussing the definition of propriety and the possibility of an error in societal standards. Emmeline brought the animation and energy of a youth into the conversation, while Sarah introduced a kind of otherworldly wisdom that only came with experience and time.

The evening meal was steadily approaching them and yet they continued with their discussion. At some point Penelope had been invited to join her mistress on the opal sofa, listening politely, learning as much as she could from the debate between the two women she admired the most in the world.

Sarah was fond of Emmeline, more so than she had ever been of any prospective match for her son. It was true that she was not a ravishing beauty, but she was not ugly, only plain. Besides, the brilliance of her mind and the purity of her heart were more than sufficient to compensate for what she lacked in physical attractiveness. She was convinced that her son Alexander could be persuaded to love this girl, and that he would make an excellent king with such an outstanding queen ruling with him by his side.

When it became far too late for Emmeline to attempt to return home safely, Sarah offered her a room for the night and invited her to dine as well as sup with them. It would be a good chance for Alexander – as well as her husband King Alexander – to get to know her in a more intimate setting. Naturally, Emmeline could not turn the Queen down, and accepted shyly with a grateful smile.

Greta returned to the drawing room and led Emmeline and Penny to a guest room, where Penny assisted her mistress in bathing and reapplying her powders. Although they had not brought any of Emmeline's toilette, the palace had a steady supply of anything a woman could ever need, and the pair spent much time gushing over the exquisite soaps and creams at their disposal. When Emmeline was ready to be dressed for dinner, Penny sent for a seamstress, who arrived armed with three dresses for the lady to choose from. Emmeline selected the plainest garment, a simple lilac gown, and Penny helped her into it before the seamstress altered it on the spot so that it fit her like the white gloves the seamstress also provided her with.

"You look beautiful, my lady," Penny observed with a slight smile. Beside her, the seamstress nodded her agreement most vigorously.

Emmeline just laughed in response. "Did we not concur at tea that you would call me Emmeline now? If you remember, I made a pact with Queen Sarah. She will let her maids in waiting call her by her name in public if I let you call me by mine, and I am keen to see the results of this little experiment."

The seamstress's eyes widened at this news, but she said nothing.

"Oh, my lady, I could not do so," Penny admitted. "I truly do look up to you as my mistress... It would do you no justice to simply address you by your name."

"Come now, Penelope, cease this ridiculousness," she answered with a light laugh, "do I not call you by your given name as well?"

Penny tried to argue, but she was, after all, in a subordinate position and grudgingly gave in. When Emmeline turned to thank the seamstress, she was already gone – she had long since fled the room, fancying herself unable to hear any more of the Queen's lack of judgement and Lady Emmeline's lack of propriety. Penny frowned at the seamstress's rudeness at leaving without a single word, but Emmeline just chuckled and told her to call for Greta. They had to be taken to the dining hall immediately or they would be late for dinner, and the very last thing Emmeline wished to do was to leave a poor impression on the royal family.