III. Let the Chase Resume

Dear William,

Would you believe that I have ventured into Haram? The place's reputation as Wickhurst's sinful place does not quite suit it. I did find many things that were quite marvellous, in my opinion. For one, I discovered a bookshop that sells the rarest editions. Truly, one ought to give Haram a chance!

As to your inquiry about the cat, it did manage to escape me once again. I am quite inclined to ignore your suggestion not to cage it. I am afraid that it will someday go and never return.

I did read the Herald. It is sad news for Benedict Everard and his wife, really, but I am quite certain that Lady Agatha will soon heal from the loss of her unborn child. I do hope that as a friend of the family, you did find a way to offer them comfort.

Your friend,

Lady Weis

*****

It was not difficult to find a way to deliver her letters to Wakefield. It simply took two maids who were related to one of Samuel Theobald's footman who would in turn post the letter to Wakefield's residence. Either of the maids would then meet with the said footman during one of their trips to the market and deliver any reply from Wakefield straight to Ysabella.

Samuel was forced to turn a blind eye as Ysabella had found out about his well-kept secret. That said secret seemed to be stronger still to this day as no one in the Everard household, except the two very trustworthy maids, knew of Ysabella's secret. Add to the fact that it was Samuel who did challenge Ysabella to write the first letter to Wakefield, the man was very willing to keep his mouth shut to save his own skin from the rest of the Everards.

So, no, it was indeed not difficult to post the letters without getting caught, but to keep it a secret was. She hated that Emma did not know. She had never lied to her sister. But then she merely lied once and it was when she promised to stop sending any more letters to Wakefield as Lady Weis. Never did Emma ask or doubted that she sent more and it had been slowly eating her inside to have kept her sister in the dark for two years now.

She had kept telling herself that she was not doing anything foul. Lady Weis was simply to be one of the reasons for Wakefield to love her. She only wrote to him as a friend, giving him advice on matters at hand and possibly, in the future, advice on love. Yet Ysabella knew she had also been fooling herself. Two years of writing to each other and her infatuation grew to one of love. It could no longer be denied for as Lady Weis she discovered more of the man beneath his rakehell façade. Undeniably, it was the number one reason why she could not seem to stop writing back.

But it would soon have to end. It was not going anywhere. Every moment she tried to bring out the subject of Ysabella Everard as a possible prospect for his attention in her letters, he would simply change the subject or ignore any statement she made regarding the beautiful and vibrant Lady Ysabella Everard. Afraid that he would suspect, she had ceased to discuss herself in Lady Weis' letters.

"Ysabella, dear," Their mother's voice drew Ysabella away from her thoughts, "I have acquired news that Lord Nimrod would also be in attendance."

Ysabella groaned. She saw Aurora and Emma share an amused look. "He is?" she asked dryly, rolling her eyes at their red-haired friend and sister.

"Yes. And if I am not mistaken, he is the best of all your suitors. I wonder why you have not yet considered taking his hand. I would, really, if I were you. He is good for you."

Their mother's blue eyes stared at her with meaning.

"If I may speak, mother," Nicholas said beside her, voice filled with amusement, "I do not agree that the man is good for Ysabella."