IX. Rages

Dearest William,

My week had been fine. Better, as a matter of fact.

I had the sweetest dream last night.

I was wearing a beautiful wedding gown and I was surrounded by the most beautiful flowers you could find in the Town. My family was there and they were happy as I walked down the aisle to meet the man of my dreams.

The best part was that I saw his face. He was smiling. And he was seeing me.

Do you also wish for such dreams to come true?

Your friend,

Lady Weis

*****

"I-I did-I did not mean to-" Ysabella stammered but could not find any more words to say. What was she to say? How could she say it when he was looking at her as though he was ready to make her his prey in his hunting game?

"I knew you are childish, Ysabella," he ground out, "but I did not realize the extent until now!" He pointed over at the gasping Aurora. "Do you realize what could have happened to you? To her?"

"I did not mean to do it! I did not cause it! Surely you must know that!" she desperately said.

"It was not her fault, my lord!" Aurora shouted at him and coughed some more.

"Of course, it is not her fault!" Wakefield shouted, giving Ysabella a mocking laugh. "She is Ysabella Everard. She can get away with anything! Everything she does is merely for entertainment. She can commit no wrong!"

Ysabella flinched. So he thought the same as everyone else.

Suddenly her feet started to move and she did move. Quite strongly, in fact, that she brushed Wakefield aside to assist Aurora to her feet.

"I am sorry, Ysa," Aurora whispered brokenly.

"It is all right," she muttered under her breath. She could not speak any way higher than that for she was afraid smoke would come out of her nose. Never had she felt this intense desire to strangle Wakefield, or even to cause him harm. It was a revelation, really, that she could feel any sort of anger toward him.

Wakefield had followed her and grabbed her gown from the ground. He threw it at her and said, "Get dressed and do it quick. For God's sake, Ysabella, cover yourself!" His eyes went to Aurora next and he snapped, "Can you walk?"

Aurora's lips were shaking but she nodded her head, stepping away from Wakefield and nearer to Ysabella. "I am fine. Thank you."

His eyes returned to her. "Your brothers will not like this."

"I know," she snapped, pulling her gown over her head. "Which is why we shall return alone. You do not have to come with us-"

"I would dare not," he interjected strongly. "I would not want to suffer one of their blows."

Her shoulders stiffened and with stiff fingers tried to button her gown. Wakefield walked over to her, face looking irritated and impatient. He brushed her hands aside and roughly buttoned her gown. He might not have felt anything by then, but Ysabella could have sworn that her breath had ceased to exist. It was odd to feel both anger and the same tingling sensation he caused her whenever he was so near. She held her breath until he stepped away to study her.

"Go," he ground out. "And no more games, little one. You've proven yourself well enough today."

Love was not enough to block any deleterious feelings, of course, and such thing happened that afternoon. Ysabella's jaw tightened with distaste. Her head snapped high in a haughty mien. "Of course. But I am in need of your coat."