XL. A Guide to a Wedding

Dearest Lady Weis,

Me? Marry? The chance of that happening is very much the same as your cat not disappearing again!

Perhaps in another lifetime.

Yours,

William

*****

"I am sorry, my lady," Morris mournfully uttered, "but I received specific instructions from his lordship."

Ysabella narrowed her eyes at the man. "You have allowed me entrance when my brothers were here."

The man rapidly blinked. "Well, it was a different matter entirely, my lady. My master was being murdered!"

Ysabella sighed. "And what could be the reason why I cannot enter this time around, Morris?"

The butler gulped. "Well, you are a lady and you are alone. You cannot enter."

She let out a dramatic gasp. "But I am to be your mistress soon, Morris! The entire town knows of my engagement with your master. Surely there can be no more scandal!"

"I regret this, my lady, but I truly cannot allow you entry." He leaned closer and whispered. "He has pointed out, quite very specifically as well, that I would definitely have myself thrown out should I allow you."

"I simply wish to have tea with him."

"He knew you would say so, but he said to relay the information that we do not have tea."

She narrowed her eyes. "You are lying."

Morris' face went scarlet. "It would be the master who would be lying, my lady. I am merely the messenger of the lie." When she opened her mouth to speak, he hastily added, "but he did promise to call on you this evening."

"My brothers are guarding our estate. They do not wish for the two of us to meet until the wedding."

"Ah, well, then, my lady, I do hope my master can face them again."

Ysabella finally sighed with resignation. "Very well."

"Have a good day, my lady!" Morris called out to her when she started to leave. "I am quite ecstatic to serve you soon!"

She ignored it, already fuming.

Two days! It had been two days since she last saw him! Did he not wish for her company as much as she did?

She found Emma waiting for her from across the street.

"Well? Did you find Mrs Beagle?" she asked her sister.

"No. Well, Morris did not allow you entrance, did he?"

Ysabella rolled her eyes. "Apparently, yes."

Emma fell silent as they walked back to the Everard mansion.

"Something is definitely bothering you, Em," Ysabella said.

Her sister smiled. "No, of course not."

Ysabella chose to drop the matter. Mayhap she could bring it out again later.

As they walked on, Emma broke the silence saying, "While you were talking with Morris, did you see Agnes and Nettie talking to me?"

She frowned. "No, I did not."

Emma's face turned sour. "They seemed quite amused that you are still taking such great efforts to see Wakefield when you two are to be wed in a week."

"I am certain they think the same as the rest of Wickhurst," she murmured. "Two months since the engagement and they still think it?"

"Quite so," Emma admitted. "Are you bothered?"