XXXIV. Lost

Dearest William,

Would it not be such a lovely thought if we could all find a passage that would take us all aboveground?

I believe the Town has many secrets yet to be revealed.

It would indeed be an adventure should we all go up there and see a new world.

Your friend,

Lady Weis

*****

Her face filled with dread and Wakefield pushed away from his chair to lean his arms on the table.

"Now, Miss Gimer, if you would please take a seat," he said, offering the chair across from him, "I suggest you start talking." He cocked an eyebrow when she merely stood there, stunned. "The truth would be highly appreciated."

"I—" she started, blinking in panic. "I—I caged the cat despite what you have told me, of course. Lady Gedge did not wish for any pets to roam around the estate."

"Hmm," Wakefield said, raising an eyebrow at her in challenge.

He leaned back against his char. "Very well," he said, crossing his arms over his chest. "Then do tell me what you did with the leaf."

Rosa Gimer frowned. "I—" she looked about in the room. "Well, have I not told you that everything I said in those letters was all false? There was no leaf. I made it up."

"Oh, but I would like you to tell me what you said in the letter, Miss Gimer. True or not, made up or not, you wrote them as Lady Weis, did you not?"

Her lips started to quiver as Wakefield's patience began to shorten.

"Perhaps the leaf you found falling through the hole was not such a good story that you seem to have forgotten about it," he said, pretending to think deeply. "Should I ask a different question then?" He smiled when she further blanched, her eyes going to the door as if she was thinking of an escape.

He slowly stood and with careful, easy steps he walked around his table and stopped right in front of her. She stumbled back in alarm.

Hitching one hip against the wooden table, he continued to smile at her with a mocking, knowing look.

"You do know how to read and write, yes?"

"Of course," she snapped, clearly offended.

"Ah, of course. Then do tell me about geography."

But I am merely jesting... No one likes geography...

Rosa Gimer remained silent. "Then do tell me what you think of fairy tales. You said you have witnessed enough to make you believe them. Please, Miss Gimer, do tell me."

Love, I think, moves one to do foolish, romantic things...

At that very moment, Wakefield was no longer interested in the servant maid's responses. His mind was already rushing to somewhere else. "And how do you fare with spirits?"

Oh, I do not fare well with spirits. Do you have lemonade instead?

He started to choke in his own voice as he continued to ask the questions, his eyes stinging with tears. Rosa Gimer's hazy face was frowning at him now, confused by the sudden different tone he was taking. "And bandits? What do you think of them?" he demanded. "I read that Lady Weis do tend to understand their nature."

It is going to be all right, my lord. They are good people. They are friends.

He could feel his own hands shaking, his body turning cold despite the rage. "And how about your pianoforte skills? You love music, do you not?"