X. An Invitation

Dearest Lady Weis,

You very well know my reputation. Too much, in fact, that I do have a little resentment. You know me very well, yet I have no idea who you truly are.

Yes, there are lovers, but they are merely there to satisfy the desires of the flesh. You, I believe, do understand with a mind so open.

Although I do have to admit that I am starting to tire of this life I am leading. I feel that there are more that I must do and discover. I know something is waiting for me, yet I am hesitant to start reaching for it for I hate failure. The very thought of it brings my father's voice come ringing in my head.

Mayhap I ought to retire from my rakish ways and start to think of a future with someone else.

I envy you. You know what you want. You have someone you want. If you could only tell me more, I might give you advice like you've been doing so in the past year.

Yours,

William

*****

Dearest William,

I find that I can no longer continue to fool us both. I wish I can say more, but I am afraid it would ruin what we've built together through these letters.

This shall be my last letter, my friend. I wish you well in your endeavours and may you find the happiness that you deserve. As to I, I shall keep fighting for what I desire the most and I hope you do too.

Your friend forever,

Lady Weis

Wakefield had read the letter numerous times, as if the words would morph into something else if he read them one more time. But they were clear as the sun shining through a hole above.

She had ended it. Everything.

And he felt like throwing something out the window, at the same time he felt like coming down on both knees to grovel and beg.

Everything he thought he was not capable of feeling he felt because of her. And she had decided without giving proper reason that she was done.

He could not allow it. Not until he had her in his arms as his.

And so Wakefield reached for his pen and started writing.

*****

Dearest Lady Weis,

I do not accept that you will simply end this. As a matter of fact, I refuse any reason to do so. I know you think yourself in love with another, but I do not think he loves you in return. Two years, my lady. Two years you have been talking about this man and never had I read a single letter from you that he might feel the same about you.

I have tried to tell you what I honestly feel, but I stopped myself countless of times because I wanted to tell you personally, when you finally decide for us to meet in person. But due to this recent decision of yours, I decided that I should let you know.

I love you. I am in love with you for quite some time now. I fear the feeling, but I embrace it.

I do not care if you are without limbs, or that you are a mere servant. I love your mind, your wit and your heart. I could not wish for anything more. If you do not believe me, then it is safe to assume that you have not known me in the years we have been writing to each other.

And if you do really believe we must stop our correspondence, please be fair and show yourself. You know me, but I do not know you and I deserve, at the very least, a glimpse of the woman I had been conversing with in letters for years.

A Lady's Guide to CourtshipOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara