VIII. Into the Lake

Dearest Lady Weis,

I do not remember many happy times with my father. He never allowed me to do anything I wanted. It was always about staying in school and more studying afterwards during holidays. I rarely had time to even walk around the estate. I could count still the times I visited the gigantic hole in Bertram before my father died and Thomas had to take over the title.

Freedom, for me, is paramount. I never wish to part from it.

But there are people who would show me that putting your freedom in the hands of another is freeing in many ways as well. Would you agree to that?

Yours,

William

*****

"Em..." Ysabella uttered, reaching for her sister, but Emma shook her head and handed back Wakefield's letter.

"I am greatly disappointed, Ysa." Emma's eyes were brimming with tears. "But we shall talk about this once we are alone. Lindsay is here, so is Levi and Tori." Without another word, Emma lifted Lindsay in her arms and left the bedchamber.

Ysabella's shoulders shook as the tears continued to flow.

She had done this to herself. She had caused this.

And she'd have to face it.

*****

Emma was still not talking to her, although she never let anyone take notice of it. She still went with Ysabella and Aurora to the picnic and the hunting party. Tori had decided to stay as Lindsay would not stop crying when they were about to leave.

"I have been quite busy in the new apartment," Aurora opened up inside the carriage on their way to the woods.

"I am glad that they have found another apartment for you, Aurora," Emma said. "I have to admit that the previous one was quite horrid."

Aurora's face reddened. "I know."

"Do not fret," Ysabella said, taking Aurora's hand. "Em merely wanted to make a point. Your previous apartment was fine, but I hope this new one is better. You do deserve something nice. Will your parents be visiting soon? We would love to meet them."

Aurora shook her head. "Mother is ill, I fear. I had suggested that I go home to take care of her but Father is quite adamant that I finish the season."

Ysabella and Emma did not make any more comment. They were aware that Aurora's parents were not very much like their own. They merely wished that if Aurora was to have any difficulties, she would let them know. There was so much about her family that she never shared. They only heard stories here and there, but no more than that. The young woman's family was a stranger to them, making them even more curious.

"Do you have any plans on how you could gain Lord Wakefield's attention this time?" Aurora asked in a teasing tone, but quickly stopped when she saw Emma turn away with a grim look on her face and Ysabella looking quite guilty.

"Later," she mouthed to Aurora who nodded in understanding, uncomfortably shifting in her seat, clearing her throat.

"Fine day today, is it not? Perfect for hunting," Aurora later said, changing the subject. "Not that I know how to hunt, of course," she hastily added.

Emma did not offer a reply. Ysabella tried to prolong the conversation by sounding enthusiastic but it was no use. The mood was not just right for anything.

Emma was still obviously angry and disappointed.

*****

Levi was already waiting for them with Nicholas, Maxwell and Ralph when their carriage arrived.